Recently in January 31, 2013: Panel Discussion Category

W.A.R.M Panel Discussion

The W.A.R.M. Panel was interesting in a number of ways. I appreciated that Carole Fisher firstly gave a brief history of what W.A.R.M actually did during the 70s and how it is still active today. I thought her dry sense of humor and description of how the group got started was definitely interesting and it made the rest of the discussion seem more relevant by knowing what kind of groundbreaking work they accomplished during that era.
I was highly interested in some of the early performance art work they did in the 70s, as I think that type of medium is highly relevant for a feminist framework. The burning brooms performance seemed groundbreaking as well as visually refreshing.
Also, the fact that Judy Chicago visited the art department at St. Catherine's was a real eye-opener into how important that program must have been. It's too bad that the program isn't around anymore.
I liked how the speaker also went through the projects that people had done over the years for the women's art institute. Some of them seemed really interesting and I only wish she had gone into more detail.
The most interesting part of the discussion for me was definitely the whole conversation about people not knowing what "feminism" means, thinking it means something completely different from what it actually does, or being afraid to use the word or self-identify as a feminist. This is something that really hits close to home because I feel that it is a part of my everyday life as a self-identifying feminist. I find that so many people are misled by the word and/or are uneducated about what feminism means. I know it's a deeper issue, but I wish that kids were taught about feminism in school they same way they are taught about civil rights and equal rights for other groups. It's important that they know the history behind the feminist movement so they understand why it's even acceptable that women are allowed to do things like play sports and make art.
That brings me back to another point in the talk when they brought up using women in athletics to gain more support for women in the arts. It's important that people know feminism does not just apply to lesbians and people making obscure art, but that it is the only reason that women's athletics programs as well as art programs exist.
The last part of the talk I want to bring up is when some of the women got into a somewhat heated discussion about having their own gallery space. There seemed to be a huge divide between the women in the room who definitely wanted a space, and those who thought it was not a sustainable option. Personally, I am on the side of them having their own space. Having "a room of one's own" allows an organization to have more of a mark on their community and more of a presence. I think they are overthinking the fact that the space doesn't need to be fancy, it doesn't need to be more than a small room that can house a few works of art. With all the member they have, I think if they want to continue the organization for years to come, a permanent space is a must-have, especially if they want to recruit more people from the younger generation, which seems to be a bit of an issue.

W.A.R.M. Panel Discussion

I found the W.A.R.M. panel interesting from a variety of important perspectives. As I have mentioned before, I always think it's a great thing when artists can come together and work on a piece of work without letting their own egos get in the way. I found that the women working together on the W.A.R.M. panel had a very good approach to the process of artists working in collaboration. Although they each designed and accomplished their own personal pieces of art, their work was all directed towards a single goal--that of moving the cause of feminism and pushing it forwards into the public's attention.
I also thought that the methods used on colleges were especially apt and well thought out by the feminists. Many studies have shown that college is a time of relearning the self for many young people, and while the efforts of the feminists were somewhat blackballed by established faculty members, their ideas were certain to bear fruit in the pliable minds of the young. I was inspired, to a certain degree, by the existence of the rallies and vigils held by the feminists in various settings and places. To me, this was an indication that any movement can get its feet under it, provided it has the strength of the young, tempered with the wisdom of the old. The art done by the various feminist workshops really spoke to me as an abject outpouring of feelings, thrown in the face of a society that had rejected them. Their feeling, truly felt and spoken and lived from the soul, has certainly changed our culture in many deep and profound ways.

Panel Discussion( Visiting Artist Program #2)

1/31/2013

The panel discussion responding the artist Harmony Hammad and the overall female artist was very interesting. Through this discussion, I was very intrigued how the female's artist in Minnesota are very active through forming an organization such as the Arts Core Program for Women and the Women's Art Registry of Minnesota to fully represent the female artist in the community. I felt that each person who stood on the panel were very passionate about advocating and reaching out the female artist to the public and I was highly respected about their passion and their hard work.
I guess one of my favorite parts of this discussion panel was the question and answer section. Through this question and answer section, I was able to understand the struggles and the obstacles that the female artist had to go through. Each paricipants had their different stories and opinions which made me very interested knowing the person individually.
Throughout this panel I noticed that the Women's Art Registry of Minnesota does not have the gallery of their own. I hope in the future the W.A.R.M will have the chance to have their own gallery which will be a great opportuinuty for the female artist to present their own work.
The panel discussion was a great opportunity for me to fully understand the environment and the atmosphere of the female artist through this coummunity. To be honest, I did not know there was a artist that was called "feminist art" but along with the Harmony Hammad's talk and the discussion taught me alot about the feminist artist.

W.A.R.M Panel Discussion

I was really excited to be able to go and listed to listen to the senior ladies of W.A.R.M speak and share the obstacles that they have overcome as female artists. I didn't know a whole lot about actions the women of W.A.R.M took in order to gain respect within a male dominant community and I was amazed with the strength these people had to stand up for their rights as female artists. One of my favorite parts of the whole panel discussion was the question and answer. Hearing not only the panels opinions of how to improve women's standings but being able to hear the audience give their point of views was really exciting. It would be nice to have more panel discussions like this one, learning the history and struggles behind artwork makes me appreciate not only the work but the artist even more than what I normally would. I really hope that they are able to get another gallery up and going to display more of their work so that more of the community would be able to understand and appreciate their struggles.

Women have had to work hard for their status and I respect the women of W.A.R.M a lot for dedicating their lives to getting the respect they deserve. Now however, I don't see nearly as much discrimination between sexes as what there used to be and I think now W.A.R.M should focus on not separating men's art and women's art, but they should focus on art in general.

Visiting Artist #2 Panel ( Response By: Nina A. )

The panel discussion was very interesting and they all brought wonderful incite from different areas of the art community. I enjoyed hearing about the WARM (Women's Art Registry of Minnesota) approach to the beginning in the 1970's and how it seemed that they were now face with the same struggles. I think it is important that they look at the past to continue forward. I hope that the find their own gallery once again. The one audience member that spoke of sport in relation to women in art right now did not make any since to me. I am glad that the current head of WARM spoke up and explained that many women today may be in sports and art, and that they could help support each-other.

I also enjoyed the topic that was addressed about women today still being afraid to label themselves as Feminist. I thought about this and wonder if I was a woman that worked from Feminist ideologies but had never said, "I'm a Feminist!" I thought about it and decided that I did have ideologies aimed to promote equal political, economic, and social right of women. To be a Feminist it does not mean that you are working against men but, are looking to be able to walk in the same steps in life.

Visiting Artists Lecture #2

Visiting Artist Lecture Response #2 - Panel Discussion
Bailey Haack
31 January 2013

I really enjoyed this lecture, mostly because each of the speakers gave a rich history of their involvement with WARM, but they also brought it up to the present and related it to the current art world. It is interesting to see how far women artists have come in gaining acceptance and recognition in an art world that is still dominated by men. However, I noticed with this discussion and the Harmony Hammond talk that often female artists become lumped together in a group simply for the reason that they are women, regardless of their art style or medium. It seems like at this point, having come so far, that women artists would simply be able to create their art and not have to claim it and defend it - we don't often see male artists making art about their male-ness.
As exciting as it is that female artists are getting their chance to shine, I was surprised that none of the women on the panel discussed the idea that women artists could just be recognized as artists, judged simply for their work and its impact, rather than the fact that it was them who created it. I think by this point in society, we need to move past the shock value of creating tampon art and simply accept art and artists as people, rather than genders.
Of course, I don't want to devalue or put down the art that women artists have and are creating that is relevant to gender and sex, but I don't believe that all art needs to necessarily be defined by those parameters. I felt like the panel discussion was very focused on the community of women and empowering women to create art, but I would have liked to see the discussion move past the ideas of simply creating "women's art" and towards creating art in general, because that's what is really important.

W.A.R.M. Panel discussion

I found this panel discussion to be one of the most exciting visiting artists events that I've attended. All the ladies talked very passionately about their experiences as members of W.A.R.M. and went into great detail about the organization's history. It was inspiring to see that the senior members of W.A.R.M. wanted to make history by providing artistic opportunities for women artists that were under appreciated by the male dominant art scene. If we look back at art history, female artists were often not represented as often as their male counter-parts. Which is quite sad because there are many great artists who inspire me, who are women. Maybe its because I've been brought in a largely female dominant family, but I don't see the difference between a male or female's artistic abilities. I believe that we all have similar skills and I'm still scratching my head wondering why women artist are still being unrepresented at art world galleries in this day and age. But I believe that times are slowly changing and that there will be a shift in our ways of thinking about equality between men and women.

On another note, it was nice to hear that in 1976, W.A.R.M. had their own gallery that allowed them to showcase works that would often be considered taboo in other galleries. This allowed them to create a great art community of people who all shared a similar interest and goals. As we look towards the future, I hope that W.A.R.M. will be able to once again call a gallery space their own instead of borrowing spaces. There is just something about owning your own space and calling it your own that you might not be able to get with other alternatives.

Pane Discussion

Carol Fischer
Carol Fischer gave a great biography of the galleries and artists she participated with in the past. She used a lot of humor in order to maintain the audience's interest. When she began to speak about the Arts Core Program, it became more interesting though. Fischer explained how this program changed the entire dynamic of these female artists' work by the way she discussed the structure, curriculum, and methodology of the program. The ACP talk was a great example on how a community of artists can work together today (the open discussion method, grass-roots organizing, etc.)

Elizabeth Erickson
Erickson's opening quote was wonderful to listen to: "This moment is the perfect teacher." I feel as if that set the stage for her talk quite beautifully. She spoke very poetically about learning as women and I found it very inspirational. The way she discussed the purpose of the Women's Art Institue was also very inspirational. She spoke of it as a way to enter into the present with your ideas, heart, soul, and skills. What I also found helpful in Erickson's talk was how she reflected upon the contemporary artists that were her students. This gave me a way to connect to the discussion of feminism in the 1970s.

Third Speaker
This speaker spoke a lot about the history of WARM and how it has changed in recent years. I found that with her lecture, she lacked a lot of the inspiration (for lack of a better word) that the the other two speakers had.

When the panel began discussing the questions that arose during the lectures, I felt like some great topics were touched on. Lately, I have been dealing a lot with the word feminist. In my own personal experience, I have felt that when a woman stands up for herself or for another woman--many times she is derogatorily called a feminist. I appreciated that they brought up that word and talked about how it has been twisted and degraded. I enjoyed that several of the audience members spoke up, but I wish that there was more younger women that spoke with the panel as well so that issues of our generation were brought up.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the January 31, 2013: Panel Discussion category.

Harmony Hammond is the previous category.

Laylah Ali is the next category.