Recently in Mathew Zefeldt Category

Matthew Zefeldt

When viewing Zefeldt's work, I felt aesthetically pleased, yet unsettled. I am unsettled because of the inaccurate perspective and dizzying colors - some of the same reasons I am aesthetically pleased.

I feel as if many artists create work for their audience. They don't always enjoy the process of what they do. They're creating a product for themselves, and then giving that product to their audience. I enjoyed the Zefeldt differed from this stereotype. Through his lecture, you could tell how in love with the process he actually was. Yet because of this, he does not make large jumps forward in his work. Change and growth happens very slowly.

I am saying he differs from that stereotype because of the studies he does of each painting to create new paintings. He is not worried about boring his audience because he isn't creating work for them. Through this, you can tell that he really does love the process of creating these paintings. His process that he spoke about was inspiring to me and I am happy he decided to share it in his lecture.

Matthew Zefeldt

I really enjoyed Matthew Zefeldt's talk. I am also a huge fan of comics and for him to show a bunch of work from when he was an undergrad and recreating some of these scenes from comic books was just awesome. You could definitely see a clear line from how he got from one point to another in the sense of his artwork. I am also a huge fan of using lots of colors so this was another bonus in my book for Matthew. All of the slides of his work and how he created it was also very interesting for me. It was almost as if he laid out a timeline of pieces and how he went from one step to another and I really liked being able to follow his thoughts along with his work. Matthew seemed to really connect to his audience as well which made that talk that much more enjoyable. I didn't even mind when he went over the time limit, I could have sat there for much longer listening to him talk about his painting and I feel like this is something that doesn't happen to me all that often anymore, usually be the end of the hour I'm ready to go! With all this said, the one thing that I had a hard time understanding was his increased use of heads in his work. I just don't think I personally like the super colorful background and then a not so interesting head looking at me. I know he teaches some classes here at the U and I think I may try to take some with him, he seems like a really down to earth and creative guy.

Mathew Zefeldt

I have had the chance to take a class with Mathew and his art reflects his personality. It is refreshing in colors and uses many techniques in one piece. I have had other students ask about his work, they thought that his paintings were Photoshop creations. I had researched him and thought the same before having the opportunity to see him work in person.

All of his paintings are created with paint and he also uses photographs of sculpture heads that he uses for reference. His work does not photograph well. I wish everyone had the opportunity to see his work in person. We could have his work in the Nash gallery in the future so others can have the opportunity to see his work in person.
It was a well laid out lecture, he incorporated art the inspired him and the comic books that also inspired me. It was refreshing that he went there and painted piles of poop. I have learned so much from him and one thing is to push the materials to learn what they can do for you.

It was wonderful that he explained were he came from and it was interesting that he used an image a sculpture that he created when he was a small child. I never take the time to reflect on things I did as a child but, I think now looking back I have create things could have connections to work I have recently completed.

Link to him web site: http://www.mathewzefeldt.com/work/single-gallery/17802619

-Nina A.

Matthew Zefeldt

Matthew Zefeldt's work for me had a love and hate realtionship yet I loved how he was adventureous and exploritive about his work. When I see his work during undergraduate he was told that he used non objective painting in a gestral abstract. I definitely agree with his goals of his project because he used the spaces and the shapes in his work carefully. The use of space in his work looks like the objects floating and in three dimentional views to make the work more abstractive. It was really inspiring how he utilized different medias such as sculpture and the oil painting to portrayed his work into different ideas.

His grad school was one of the most interesting work I have seen. The use of comics and the use of Roman faces to use as a space was a unique idea into the work. When I was looking his work on the overhead screen, I thought the Roman faces were either photoshopped or copied, but when he told the audiences that he painted all the Roman faces, I was really shocked. All the Roman faces seemed very identical which concludes his carefullness and time focusing the Roman faces.

Although I loved his intention to use spaces and shape to create three dimentional objects, but I wasnt really happy that the color that he used. The colors were rather confusing and bright so it was so hard to look at the pieces carefully. But at the sametime, the color made the pieces very unique and in a way showed like the pop art format.

Overall, I liked Matthew Zefeldt's work. He was very engaging with the audience with the sense of humor. I also loved how he showed us the undergraduate and graduate work to see the improvements and changes of his work in a elevation steps.

Mathew Zefeldt artist talk

I recently had the great opportunity to visit Mathew Zefeldt's studio for the painting class he currently teaches. It was inspiring to see much of his undergraduate and graduate schoolwork because I often questioned the basis for his current work.

The "blobs" of oil paint seen in a few works were confusing when I seen them in person because I didn't know what to make of it. However my confusion was cleared when Mathew talked about being inspired by comics and their characters such as "the heap", which he said was a creature created from the surrounding environment. I definitely feel like the concept of appropriation is how Mathew goes about his artistic practice. He appropriates images of Greek/Roman stone heads, but places them in compositions that change the ways we think about them. Sure, he could probably have created these images in photoshop, but there is something about painting and seeing these large paintings in person that makes me appreciate his art that much more.

Another aspect I really enjoyed in Mathew Zefeldt's artist talk was his approach of delivering the talk. His quirky personality was definitely present when he started nerding out about his comic inspirations like the form the necroplasm, which he later explored in his work. It was also nice to hear about artists he is inspired by like Gerhard Richter, and how he was interested in how Richter's art can take many forms. In a way, Mathew is also still evolving as an artist as we've witnessed in the changes from his undergraduate work till his current work.

Matthew Zefeldt

Recently, I had a long discussion with a friend of mine who works as a graphic designer. We had been discussing aesthetics versus ideas, and the importance of each in the art world, but he had been arguing for aesthetics whereas I was more adamant about ideas being the most important thing in creating good art. Listening to Matthew Zefeldt speaking and seeing his work made me realize that my friend was right in ways I hadn't understood at the time. It is rare that I am struck by a painter's aesthetic style, but in this case, I was floored. Seeing his work, especially the ones that used comic book themes or colorful textures, made me realize how much can be done with stunning work that is simply visually impressive. Matthew himself also gave a fantastic talk, explaining his work quite well while keeping a friendly attitude with the audience. All in all, I thought it was a brilliant note to end the class on, and I look forward to following his work in the future.

Matthew Zefeldt

I would have to say that Matthew Zefeldt's artist talk was my favorite out of all the talks I have attended. He has such an odd sense of humor that made the talk a lot more interesting. His sense of humor was also reflected in his work. Just seeing his work evolves from creating paintings of comic book characters, to giant blobs, to piles of poop. I also found it very interesting that he makes series of the same type of painting. I feel like if I was the artist I would get very bored of creating paintings that are so similar. Also, painting all those busts almost exactly the same would drive me nuts! I get impatient just painting or drawing a scene that has zero repetition. I just wonder if he ever gets bored or impatient with the repetition in his work. I also wonder if he has plans to turn in a different direction with his work.
I really do appreciate Zefeldt's love for color and his lack of fear of taking risks. He makes risks that are interesting and that some would even fear to show to public. For example, I found it very interesting how he came to paint piles of poop. He said that he had thought about it and in the back of his head he said no, but in the end he decided if you are interested in it you might as well try it out. I enjoy his sense of humor and ability to take risks, but his paintings are something I personally wouldn't hang on a wall.
-Moriah Kelly

Matthew Zefeldt

Matthew Zefeldt was able to pull together a very interesting presentation for us all last Thursday. Probably one of the most interesting things about his art was the way that it all pulled together, and you could clearly see the evolution of separate ideas and thoughts in his work. With many of the other artists, you know that there must have been some kind of train of thought that connected all of the ideas, but it was nowhere near as clearly apparent as it was with Zefeldt's work. I thought that his ideas with breaking up lines of sight and vision, and forcing strange perspective on paintings was very well done, as well as his ideas about creating a sculpture and then painting it. That almost seemed to play off of Umbrico's ideas about using someone else's work as a basis for one's own art.
The idea of the motif was another interesting contribution that Zefeldt made to my thoughts about artwork. I was torn between different thoughts about its effectiveness. From one point of view, it was cool to see the same shape or object reproduced in many different ways and situations, but from another perspective, it was just kind of boring. I think that perhaps he could have done more to differentiate the motifs he used, and perhaps bring them to have some kind of symbolism beyond a simple object. As it was, the motifs seemed almost meaningless, and I wasn't sure what to think when I saw the stone sculpture heads repeated ad nauseum, or the poop, or the rainbow garbage pile.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Mathew Zefeldt category.

Laylah Ali is the previous category.

Penelope Umbrico is the next category.