« My Future Goals | Main | being late to class: acceptable or disrespectful? »

energy exchange at Midtown Market

MidtownMkt.bmp
The Midtown Market, located in the old Sears store on Lake Street in South Minneapolis is home to a variety of different sounds, smells, and ambiences. Here there can be found many vendors selling fresh produce, jewelry, art, and a variety of other cultural products. Immediatey upon arriving, the place captivated my senses and excited me. It was a clash of cultures, so to speak. I absorbed the sights, the sounds, the music, and the smells from food that I had never seen before. It was an experience that I will not soon forget.

What captivated me the most was the energy of the place. I could sense how alive the market was. Not just the vendors and consumers exchanging and conversing. There was a certain underlying aspect of the place that made me feel like I was standing in a flow, and unperturbed flow of which I could not quite grasp onto in a physical sense.

The most compelling energetic aspects of the Market was definitely the vast array of smells. Everywhere I went there was a different smells in the air. I tried to figure out what it was that I was smelling, but I could never put a finger on it. In the shops, chefs were cooking foods that I have never laid my eye upon. It reminded me that there is so much more to explore out in the world and that I should not be reluctant to explore foreign worlds and cultures. At the Market, I felt like I was not in Minneapolis, but rather a world where there were no countries or boudary lines. I felt as if I was in some sort of Atlantis.

The most obvious energy exchange that I immediately noticed was the cooking, selling, purchasing, and consumption of food. However, there were many other sources of energy that contributed to the flow of the place. Everything was in motion; It was very fast-paced. I thought about how everyone had there own story and own intentions for being at the market that day. But every single person also contributed to the atmoshpere that I found at the Marketplace. It was just like any typical event gathering. Some people were nice, some were rude, some smelled bad, and some I couldn't understand. But those are all different aspects that made the Market so unique. In a world growing more and more diverse with every turn of the page, we need to remember that we are all just people. Sometimes, it's neccessary to look beyond ethnicity, race, and cultural differences. The enegy exchange at the Midtown Market is a perfect example of how we need to come together and unify in order to make progress.