Recently in Reading Responses Category

Response to Chapter 3

I will be using a linear narrative to tell sell the idea of traveling to my audience. I will also be concentrating heavily on guiding the viewer around my piece. In fact, I am going to have a "route" for the viewer to follow printed directly on the page as a red or possible blue line. Another aspect of design that I will be focusing heavily on is the use of white space. My vision for this project is something fairly clean. It will resemble a map except without being cluttered with all the details of a landscape that a regular map contains.

Chapter Readings

Proportion is one idea from the reading that I plan to pay attention to in my project. I'll have to pay attention to how the size of the type and the type bubbles relate to the piece as a whole. I'll also have to consider the ratio of the images to white space. I will also be looking closely at the relationship between my images. Specifically looking at the principles of proximity, unity, and alignment. I also plan on using a heavy, visible, grid in my piece. Since I am fashioning my project to look like a map I will have a light grid guiding the viewer around the page.

Response to Design and Parody

I think that parody is a good way to make people look at things in a new way. Just like in the Iraq poster. The artist presented the information about what happened in the Abu Grhraib prison in a different way than people have seen it before. The fact that he presented it in a way that related to our mass culture made the image take on a whole new meaning, and have a bigger impact than the original photo did. Plus I thought that the pictures after the story were very interesting also. The way a poster can be broken down into all the elements that inspired it is really cool.

Response to Iranian Graphic Design

I could not understand this article very well. I found a lot of the wording confusing and I feel like the author repeated many of his statements too many times which added to my confusion. What I got from was that Iran has two different types of graphic design and the one that is practiced more often than not is not very good because it's not accessible to the majority of the public. I could be totally wrong about this, though. I'm not sure. I did like some of the posters that I saw, though, like the ones for typography towards the bottom, so maybe the author is being a little too hard on his own country?

Charity Design Response

The problem of being limited in our creativity as designers by clients is something that has come up in some of my other classes. I think that this "deal" that the chapter in this book talks about is a good way to solve that problem. It makes sense to me that big name companies have to abide by certain rules when it comes to it's advertising so that it can sell the most product to the most people, but what I like about less or even non-profit charity work is that, because the organization commissioning the design can't afford to pay the designer much, they let the designer have more creative freedom than he or she normally would have with a bigger company. I feel like this is a very good trade off because not only is a designer helping a company which can't afford a lot of advertising, but they are also free to produce great works of design without very many boundaries. In the reading, I was particularly impressed with the store of the designer at the end. It inspired me because he basically sacrificed money that he could have made with big name clients and instead, followed his vision and create great works of design that he was happy with.

Color

I learned a lot from the article on color. Especially towards the end of the article where it talked about what different colors mean around the world. like black in China is usually associated with little boys, or white in Japan is a funerary color. Also, I thought the article was a good review of different color terms and how colors relate to each other. Overall I liked the article.

Response to reading "The Astonish Me Problem"

I enjoyed the article about "the astonish me problem." I never really consciously thought about the problem of engaging viewers in new ways before. When I set out to make something, my goal is usually to make something that looks interesting and cool, but I'm typically not thinking about challenging my viewer in new ways. I was surprised to learn that designers were using visual tricks to engage viewers way back in the 1930s. I also thought the part of the article about how designers can make viewers interact with their designs in a physical way by creating things that require whoever is perceiving to move it or touch the design in some way. Overall, I liked this article. I learned some new things and it reminded me of aspects of design that I should always be thinking about.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Reading Responses category.

Process is the previous category.

Visual Research is the next category.