« Here we go again... | Main | Very Convincing »

Aleatory

Aleatory

OED: Adjective. Dependent on the throw of a die; hence, dependent on uncertain contingencies. (OED, 2nd Ed, accessed through U of MN Libraries)

Barzun: “Since much punctuation in printed matter today comes from the copy editor rather than the author, these shades of thought should perhaps be classed as ‘aleatory art’” (239).

Sentence: They were instructed to use an aleatory process to obtain the set of random numbers.

I really enjoy reading whatever Barzun has to say. I see myself as someone who focuses more on the little things like individual words than on, say something like an entire essay format. This is a strength and a weakness, but Barzun really emphasizes the importance of every single word. He does the same with every little piece of punctuation as well which I need to improve on.

This is getting a bit more subjective, but I much prefer the Zune Marketplace. The interface is colorful, has more flair, and some cool features like 'Mixview' that let you quickly see related albums, songs, or other users related to what you're listening to. Clicking on one of those will center on that item, and another set of "neighbors" will come into view, allowing you to navigate around exploring by similar artists, songs, or users. Speaking of users, the Zune "Social" is also great fun, letting you find others with shared tastes and becoming friends with them. You then can listen to a playlist created based on an amalgamation of what all your friends are listening to, which is also enjoyable. Those concerned with privacy will be relieved to know you can prevent the public from seeing your personal listening habits if you so choose.