« For the Overweight, Bad Advice by the Spoonful-Times Essentials | Main | We are but Simple Folk »

Children: Early Swim Lessons May Reduce Drowning

This article in the New York Times is very short, but since I have a son I like to hear what is being said about children. I grew up in AZ, far from lakes. My husband grew up here. He is a much better swimmer than I am and I took swimming lessons. He lived right next to the Mississippi and later right next to a lake. So, we went on the lake for a tubing adventure. My first:) It was horrible, I was so scared and my husband was basically calling me a chicken without directly saying it. But, being my son was there, I had to show that I can be a Man too! Afterward, I told my husband how I felt and I did not ever want to do it again. He said there was no reason to be scared and I had a life vest and nothing happened. I had to explain that I grew up in AZ and was used to dirt. I was no where near a lake to be so used to swimming in one. Anyway, my son started taking swimming lessons because everytime we are on a lake he gets super tense and when we tried teaching him he doesn't have too much confidence with us around. So, we figured if he worked with someone he didn't know that he would be more likely to take a chance and want to swim. He is six and this article by Eric Nagourney says, "swimming lessons to children ages 1 to 4 makes them less likely to drown." Is my son still at the age to be less likely to drown, I believe so. I don't want to criticize this article too much, but I would like to see the studies on older children taken swimming lessons and their likelyness of drowning. How is that even reported? Is that by number of drownings occuring in the U.S., by their age? I believe that my son has a better advantage being introduced to swimming earlier than I was. Also, we are far from AZ and there is the increased chance that he will enjoy the water more than I do now. I would also like to see studies on people's swimming that compares lake swimmers and desert swimmers who just used pools. I think there would be a significant difference in that.

You got a link for the original article?