MIT Libraries cancel SAE subscription due to DRM restrictions

Excerpted from the MIT Libraries' announcement of March 16, 2007:

... SAE’s DRM technology severely limits use of SAE papers and imposes unnecessary burdens on readers. With this technology, users must download a DRM plugin, FileOpen Systems’ third-party plug-in for Adobe Reader called “FileOpen,? in order to read SAE papers. This plugin limits use to on-screen viewing and making a single printed copy, and does not work on Linux or Unix platforms.

MIT faculty respond

“It’s a step backwards,? says Professor Wai Cheng, SAE fellow and Professor of Mechanical Engineering at MIT, who feels strongly enough about the implications of DRM that he has asked to be added to the agenda of the upcoming SAE Publication Board meeting in April, when he will address this topic.

In addition to Professor Cheng, the MIT Libraries consulted with other faculty members who publish or use SAE content. The responses were uniformly against accepting DRM, even if it meant losing ready access to SAE papers. When informed that the SAE feels the need to impose DRM to protect their intellectual property, Professor John Heywood, the Director of MIT’s Sloan Automotive Lab, who publishes his own work with the SAE, responded with a question: “Their intellectual property?? He commented that increasingly strict and limiting restrictions on use of papers that are offered to publishers for free is causing faculty to become less willing to “give it all away? when they publish...

Posted by stemp003 at March 23, 2007 2:19 PM

You can’t keep it unless you give it away! Where would SAE be today if we all had limited what we shared and kept secrets from them? Maybe it would mean Standard of Automotive Embarrassment. It seems headed that way!

Posted by: aaron at September 10, 2008 2:36 AM

thanks for the post! I am just curious since this article was posted march 2007, do you have any updates about this issue? i hope you will be able to post here the latest development regarding this subject.

Posted by: discount auto parts at September 14, 2009 8:45 AM

To be honest sir, I don't buy any new books. I may not be the best exmaple since I don't buy a lot of books new. In fact, I can't remember the time I did buy a new book.With digital books, I never really feel like I own the material. I feel like I'm paying to borrow it, so $12.99 seems like so much since I grew up with the public library. The EReaders on the market are also pretty expensive (in my own opinion, the IPad is all I need and that's $500) so sinking more money into something that big also turns me away. For real, I just want to borrow books from my public library. That's not the librarian in me talking that's the Dad that would much rather take that $12.99 and put it into a savings account for my little boy.

Posted by: Alexis at September 17, 2012 1:25 AM

Remember personal info?

Type the characters you see in the picture above.