Oxford U Press agrees to make deposits for NIH authors

This week, Oxford University Press issued the following press release. Their offer will make it much easier for U-MN authors with NIH funding to submit articles to OUP journals in compliance with the agency's new open access requirement.

Oxford Journals today announced that they will deposit into PubMed Central (PMC) any articles published in any of their biomedical journals which are identified by the authors as being funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This development helps authors to comply with the public access policies of the NIH.

The NIH policy ‘requires investigators funded by the NIH to submit to PMC an electronic version of their final, peer-reviewed manuscript upon acceptance for publication, to be made publicly available no later than 12 months after the official date of publication.’

Any NIH-funded manuscripts submitted to Oxford Journals from 31st July 2008 onwards will be identified and tagged, and the final published version will then be sent to PMC for them to include on their platform. NIH-funded articles which are open access will be available immediately, and those which are not open access will be available after 12 months. To clarify, in both cases, the final published version of the NIH funded article will be hosted at PMC, rather than the original manuscript. Data feeds between PMC and the journals concerned have already been set up, and now Oxford Journals will work with our authors to identify which articles are funded by the NIH.

Martin Richardson, Managing Director of Oxford Journals, comments, ‘already all of our open access articles are being deposited into PMC. Now any NIH-funded authors who publish their articles in one of our journals will not need to deposit them into PMC themselves – Oxford Journals will do so for no charge on their behalf.'

Oxford Journals has also prepared some information and guidelines for authors of various funding agencies, which can be found here.

Posted by stemp003 at August 8, 2008 4:23 PM

When I initially commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment.
Is there any way you can remove me from that service?

Thanks a lot!

Posted by: Dave Zitting Prmi at September 11, 2014 7:39 AM

Remember personal info?

Type the characters you see in the picture above.