University of California Libraries release Open Letter to Licensed Content Providers on CA budget crisis

This week Ivy Anderson, Director of Collections for the California Digital Library, sent the following open letter to most of CDL's key content providers.

*****

OPEN LETTER TO LICENSED CONTENT PROVIDERS

The University of California Libraries ask all information providers with whom we negotiate content licenses to respond to the major fiscal challenges affecting higher education in California in a spirit of collaboration and mutual problem-solving. We expect to work with each of our vendors at renewal to develop creative solutions that can preserve the greatest amount of content to meet the information needs of the University of California’s students, faculty, and researchers.

The University of California Libraries, including the California Digital Library (CDL), share the economic concerns expressed in the Statement to Scholarly Publishers on the Global Economic Crisis issued by the Association of Research Libraries <http://www.arl.org/bm~doc/economic-statement-2009.pdf> and the Statement on the Global Economic Crisis issued by the International Coalition of Library Consortia <http://www.library.yale.edu/consortia/icolc-econcrisis-0109.htm>. The economic crisis affecting libraries is particularly acute in California, which as of this writing (May 2009) is forecasting a $21 billion state budget shortfall for 2010 despite previous efforts to close a $42 billion budget gap in 2009.

As a state-supported institution, the University of California has experienced significant budget reductions in fiscal year 2009, with more reductions to come. The $531 million shortfall now anticipated in state funding for the 2009-10 fiscal year amounts to nearly 17 percent of the $3.2 billion the state provides UC annually. Numerous cost containment measures are in place across the university, including salary and other compensation freezes for senior managers, hiring curtailments for other staff, travel restrictions, and other mandated reductions. More information about the UC budget situation is available on the University’s Web site at http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/budget

UC Libraries are being hit hard by the budget reduction mandates in effect at each of the UC campuses. Targeted reductions to library materials budgets for fiscal year 2010 vary across the campuses, with some as high as 20%. Many campuses have been alerted that additional cuts will be levied in fiscal year 2011. Coupled with the typical inflationary increases for scholarly publications, the erosion of library buying power will have a profound and lasting impact on all of the UC libraries. Monographic purchasing has already been seriously curtailed, and every electronic content license is being placed under careful scrutiny.

While we will not be able to spare every product, we will pursue every possible creative option to maintain access to resources important to the UC mission. These options may include developing processes for individual campuses to disengage from systemwide agreements without penalty to other campuses and without penalties being levied upon re-entry; deeper overall discounts when new or add-on products are acquired; and in some if not many cases, outright cost reductions. We welcome all innovative proposals for managing through these difficult times.

Posted by stemp003 at May 29, 2009 10:05 AM

These are in fact wonderful ideas in concerning
blogging. You have touched some pleasant points here.
Any way keep up wrinting.

Posted by: www.gratuitstarpasstelechargement.wordpress.com at December 30, 2014 1:01 AM

These are in fact wonderful ideas in concerning blogging.
You have touched some pleasant points here. Any way keep up
wrinting.

Excellent weblog right here! Also your website quite a bit up very fast!
What host are you the use of? Can I get your associate hyperlink
on your host? I desire my website loaded up as
quickly as yours lol

Posted by: generateur de kamas at January 22, 2015 2:48 PM

Hi there! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be okay.

I'm undoubtedly enjoying your blog and look forward to new posts.

Posted by: starpass gratuit at February 3, 2015 1:27 AM

Hi there! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that
would be okay. I'm undoubtedly enjoying your blog and look forward to new posts.

I really like it whenever people get together and share
views. Great site, continue the good work!

Posted by: Starpass Gratuit at February 11, 2015 1:29 AM

Thanks for sharing your info. I truly appreciate your efforts and I am waiting for
your further post thank you once again.

Posted by: Generateur De kamas at February 14, 2015 6:28 PM

I feel this is among the most significant info for
me. And i'm happy reading your article. However wanna commentary on few general issues, The web site
taste is ideal, the articles is in point of fact great :
D. Just right task, cheers

Posted by: http://shallowaggresso46.kazeo.com/some-unique-kitchen-cabinets-door-styles-you-can-adhere-to,a61339 at March 20, 2015 5:10 PM

Remember personal info?

Type the characters you see in the picture above.