Parents concerns about teens online privacy

Pew Internet and American Life Project conducted a study regarding how parents felt about their teens online and their online privacy. The survey was conducted on the phone and had 802 parent participants as well as 802 teens ages 12-17 participate between July and September of 2012. The survey was conducted in both Spanish and English and respondents were reached on both landlines and cell phones. The margin of error was + or - 4.5%.

The survey found that 81% of parents are concerned with how much advertisers can learn about their teens through their online behavior. It also found that 72% of parents were concerned with their teens interacting with people they do not know online. Something I found interesting was that 69% of parents were concerned with how their teens represented themselves online. I found this statistic interesting because I feel like this is something that is not touched on enough. People focus a lot on privacy and who their children talk to online, but I don't think enough focus is put on who teens present themselves. I have heard teachers talk about when talking about look for jobs or applying to schools, but I have never really heard parents talk about it. I have had parents talk about sharing of information online as well as only talking to people you know. I would be interested to know how many of these parents have access to or have seen their teen's online social network profiles and what they think of them. I think this was a well thought out survey and is reliable.

http://www.pewinternet.org/Reports/2012/Teens-and-Privacy.aspx