Trade Off

As we're getting closer to the end of the semester, I haven't been blogging because I've been really busy! During every set of walk-in hours last week I saw at least 3 students.

With the increase in business comes a trade-off. When there are other students waiting to ask questions about their projects, some students might not get to spend enough time working with us to build the skills they need to do their research. Often, when there is no one waiting, I spend more than 30 minutes with students and make sure that they are comfortable with the strategies we covered before they leave. When there are others waiting, it isn't always possible to get to this point. I know that students still leave with a better understanding of how to use the resources available to them through the library.

This is a contradiction that is hard to balance, because we want as many students as possible to use the service, but we also want them to build as many skills as possible by meeting with a PRC. There's no easy solution. I've been taking it on a case-by-case basis with general rule of 20 minutes per person when there is a line.

This page contains a single entry by schu1681 published on March 29, 2010 12:12 PM.

Lots of Consultations! was the previous entry in this blog.

Extra Credit/ Assignment Consulting is the next entry in this blog.