Recently in International News Category

Dilemma for North Korea food aid

The United Nations warns that a quarter of the population in North Korea could be at risk of starvation Tuesday because the public distribution system will run out of food in May, NPR reported.

Since the 1990s, the South Korean government released the estimation of food shortages based on simulation tests in February, and it said that North Korea would need an extra 1.29 million tons of food this year, the Korea Herald reported.

The World Food Program asked the international community for 434,000 tons of food assistance to support children and pregnant women in North Korea, the Korea Herald reported.

U.S. officials are considering whether to resume food aid, but it is politically sensitive because of North Korea's attacks on a South Korean island late last year, NPR reported.

Afghanistan mob protests Koran burning

At least seven foreigners killed by an angry mob that stormed the United Nations compound in northern Afghanistan Friday, as a protest over a recent Koran burning in Florida.

The crowd attacked the U.N headquarters in Mazar-i-sharif and killed guards who tried to fight them off, the Los Angeles Times reported.

The crowd gathered to denounced the actions of Terry Jones, a preacher from Florida, who burned the Islamic holy book on a grill last month, the Washington Post reported.

Witnesses told the Washington Post that the crowd contained some armed men that threw rocks, burned U.S. flags and chanted anti-U.S. slogans.

NATO takes lead in Libya

NATO is assuming command of Western military intervention in Libya Thursday and the U.S will keep flying combat missions.

The U.S. role will is to support ally partners with refueling, surveillance, and other noncombat flights, NPR reported.

A humanitarian crisis is taking place in rebel-held cities despite a campaign of airstrikes and missile attacks, the Washington Post reported.

Vice Adm. William E. Gortney said the coalition is using every way to send messages to Gaddafi's forces telling them to stop fighting or risk attack, the Washington Post reported.

Obama warns Qaddafi as forces attack rebels again in Libya

President Obama warned that the West is considering all options in Libya including possible military intervention because Libyan government warplanes bombed rebels near Ras Lanuf's oil refinery on Monday.

On Monday evening a warplane dropped bombs two times near a heavily-defended rebel checkpoint killing an untold number of people, the New York Times reported.

The president said at a White House news conference that "it is their choice to make how they operate moving forward, and they will be held accountable for whatever violence continues to take place there", NPR reported.

Government troops have gained strategic parts of the country in recent days but are still on the defensive as they try to suppress the rebels, the New York Times reported.

Libyan Rebels attacked by Warplanes

Rebels in Brega, a strategic oil town in Libya, repelled an attack Wenesday by mercenaries with artillery and war planes.

At least five are dead and 16 are wounded in the fighting with government-aligned mercenaries, the New York Times reported.

The troops are loyal to Moammar Gadhafi and were trying to take control of the city and the oil refinery, NPR reported.

Gadhafi said in a televised speech that Libya would engage in a "bloody war" if the U.S. or NATO forces intervene, NPR reported.

Qaddafi urged by West to stop violence

Libyan leader Moammar el-Qaddaffi is blamed for violence Wednesday aimed at protesters in the capital of Tripoli.

The French President Nicolas Sarkozy urged the European Union to cut economic and business ties with Libya, the Los Angeles Times reported.

"The international community cannot remain a spectator to these massive violations of human rights" Sarkozy told the Los Angeles Times.

President Obama said threats and orders to shoot peaceful protesters is unacceptable, ABC News reported .

These violent confrontations between security forces and protesters have sent many people fleeing from Libya, ABC News reported.

Berlusconi indicted in prostitution for paying a 17-year-old girl for sex

Italy's Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi was ordered Tuesday to stand trial for paying a 17-year-old Moroccan girl for sex, and then used his power to try to cover it up.

The trial will begin April 6 and the panel will consist of three judges: All of whom are women, NPR reported.

The trial date came two days after thousands of Italian women protested Mr. Berlusconi for his sex scandals and derogatory treatment of women, the National Post reported.

If Berlusconi is convicted he could spend three years in prison for molesting a minor, and the power abuse charge could be up to 12 years, the National Post reported.

Mubarak won't step down

Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak announced Thursday that the Vice President Omar Suleiman will take over some of his duties but Mubarak will remain in office until September when a government transition can take place.

The hundreds of thousands of protesters in Cairo's Tahir Square were outraged because they were hoping that Mubarak's address would end his 30 years in power, reported the Los Angeles Times.

Karim Kandil, one of the protesters, told NPR that they will continue to demand that Mubarak step down and be tried for his crimes.

Mubarak, a prominent leader, is a trusted U.S. ally in stopping Islamic terrorism and resolving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, reported the Los Angeles Times.

Mubarak not to run for reelection

Egyptian President Hosni Mubarack will not run for reelection Tuesday as he listens to the demand of hundreds of thousands of pro-democracy demonstrators.

Many protesters are still demanding that he leave right now, not in September, when the next elections will be held, reported the Washington Post.

NPR reported that the army released a statement to support the people because they have a legitimate right to protest.

The shut down trains and internet have forced businesses to stop and factories to halt as workers find their way to rallies, reported the Washington Post.

According to the Washington Post, this will cause an already rocky economy to be devastated if Mubarak and demonstrators don't reach an agreement soon.

Moscow airport bombing has first suspect

A bomb killed 35 people, Monday, in the Moscow airport and is suspected to be related to the North Caucasus militant group.

The investigation of the suicide bomber has lead authorities to believe that it was a man named Vitaly Razobudko, but no one can confirm that he was the bomber, reported The New York Times.

Fox 9 reports that the bomb in the arrivals hall of the Moscow airport had the same power as 11lbs of TNT and contained metal objects to inflict the most damage.

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev told officials to make new plans and prevent any further attacks in Russia on airports and other forms of transportation because he wants to show that Russia is a safe place for international business, reported The Wall Street Journal.

About this Archive

This page is an archive of recent entries in the International News category.

Analysis is the previous category.

Local News is the next category.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.

Pages

Powered by Movable Type 4.31-en