Recently in Local News Category

The Brooklyn shooter was identified before killing himself near the U of M

The gunman accused of murdering two co-workers at a Metro area grocery store Friday was identified by the Hennepin County Medical Examiner on Monday, KARE 11 reported.

Aaron L. Parson, 23, of Brooklyn Park died Friday night of a gunshot wound to the head after fleeing to Minneapolis near the Mississippi River, according to the Hennepin County Medical Examiner's office, the Star Tribune reported.

Officers from three metro-area police forces roped off busy parts of the University's West Bank on Friday night, searching for the suspect, the MN Daily reported.

Michael Habte, 21, and girlfriend, Abigail M. Fedeli, 20, were both fatally shot by Parson, the Star Tribune reported.

Habte was shot multiple times and died in surgery at North Memorial Medical Center in Robbinsdale, and Fedeli was shot once in the neck, the medical examiner told the Star Tribune.

St. Louis Park prinicpal removed

A St. Louis Park school principal has been placed on leave Tuesday and a replacement was chosen keeping student safety and achievement in mind, the Star Tribune reported.

The Aquila Elementary School principal Freida Bailey was placed on leave, KARE 11 reported.

The district will not release any other details about why Bailey was placed on leave, but Clarence Pollock is the interim principal at Aquila, KARE 11 reported.

The district said that the top priority is student safety and achievement, and that the environment should be supportive and educational, the Star Tribune reported.

Three University of Minnesota students have competed against 74,000 applicants and are still in the run for the "tiger blood" internship Monday.

The University students are still competing with 250 to 500 other people that are trying to obtain Sheen's paid social media internship, the Minnesota Daily reported.

Josh Schreiner, Andrew Wagner and Shanna Henderson hope to make the next cut and be in the top 50, Fox 9 reported.

The winner will work full-time for eight weeks with Sheen to maintain his social media platforms, Fox 9 reported.

Hearing cancled for Somali man that was held on terror charges

The hearing for a Somali man whose been in custody for more than two years on terror charges Monday has been canceled because of a scheduling conflict, the Pioneer Press reported.

Kamal Said Hassan, who stayed at a training camp for al-Shabab in 2007, is expected to ask to be released while he awaits his sentence, KARE 11 reported.

Al-Shabab is a violent group that wants to establish an Islamic state in Somalia, and Hassan said he followed orders from the terror group after he left the camp, KARE 11 reported.

Hassan pleaded guilty to providing material support to a foreign terrorist organization and other charges, the Pioneer Press reported.

Two teens shot to death in home

Two teens were shot and killed Tuesday at their home in western Minnesota, according to authorities.

A 16-year-old girl, a sophomore at Perham High School, was dead at the scene, and a 17-year-old boy, Dylan Cox, died Tuesday afternoon in Fargo's Sanford Hospital, the Star Tribune reported.

The shooting was near the Otter Tail County town of Amor around 9 p.m. and there have been no arrests, KARE 11 reported.

To maintain a secure environment for the students, Perham schools were put on lockdown so the schools could control who was coming and going, KARE 11 reported.

Disasters in Japan force U students to come home

Japan's earthquake, tsunami and nuclear threat Monday has caused the University to call home students studying abroad near Tokyo.

Three days after the University of Minnesota called students home more than half of the seven students near Tokyo had returned, the Minnesota Daily reported.

The evacuation of the students was urged by the international travel risk assessment committee, the Star Tribune reported.

The Tokyo University, where the students had been studying, was closed and this was one of the main reasons the seven students were asked to come home, the Star Tribune reported.

Two U health professors indicted for fraud

Two health professors were indicted in Georgia Wednesday for receiving payments from the University of Minnesota and Georgia Tech.

Francois Sainfort and Julie Jacko, husband and wife, face several felony counts for alleged lies about their dual employment at the two public universities, the Star Tribune reported.

Jacko is a leader in the health informatics field, and Sainfort was the head of the Division of Health Policy and Management at the School of Public Health before the incident, the Minnesota Daily reported.

The U fined Sainfort $44,024 for fringe benefits collected during the double employment time, and Jacko was fined $14,712 , the Minnesota Daily reported.

3 Shot at IHOP in Bloomington with no arrests made

Three people were shot and wounded near Mall of America in the parking lot of IHOP.

Bloomington Police Cmdr. Mark Stehlik told the Star Tribune that the shooting happened around 3 a.m. and everyone shot will survive.

Only two of the three victims were taken to the hospital because one was shot multiple times in the lower body and the other was shot in the leg, KARE 11 reported.

Authorities are still trying to identify the suspect or suspects but do not have a lead on the vehicle, KARE 11 reported.

Two convicted bank robbers arrested for Uptown holdup

Two St. Paul suspects were arrested Tuesday for an Uptown bank robbery that left behind injured bystanders and stolen cars.

The two men await federal charges in connection with the holdup that took place about 9 a.m. Monday morning at the TCF Bank on Lake Street in Minneapolis, the Star Tribune reported.

Gregory Scott Tyler, 49, had been in a Minneapolis halfway house, and Orlando Vasquez, 40, who came from a Las Vegas halfway house, are both wanted on federal arrest warrants for escape, the Pioneer Press reported.

The robbers tried to speed away in a stolen Acura but they crashed it into a BMW so they hijacked a parked car to flee the scene, the Star Tribune reported.

The search is on for a hit-and-run driver who injured a boy

A 6-year-old boy was struck by a hit-and-run driver Sunday in St. Paul, and police are trying to find the vehicle and driver.

The boy was brought to Regions Hospital and is expected to live, the Pioneer Press reported.

Police described the vehicle as being a light blue minivan or SUV with possible damage to the passenger-side mirror, the Star Tribune reported.

The vehicle was traveling east on University Avenue at about 7 p.m. and its passenger-side mirror hit the boy in the head, the Star Tribune reported.

About this Archive

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Local News category.

International News is the previous category.

National News is the next category.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.

Pages

Powered by Movable Type 4.31-en