FYI

I've had 2 weeks now and have spent about 60 % with the technicians learning what they do and how the automated systems work in a hospital setting. As I have no previous experience in this type of setting it is probably more useful to me than those of you who work in hospitals already. FYI- If you have not worked in a hospital before be sure to bring you intern manual as you can get a few things checked off your list. The other part of the time has been spent on other aspects such as spending time with the 2 students who are on their APPE acute care rotation, sitting in on patient reivews with them and listening to their reports ( great to know what to expect for next year). I also have projects from my preceptor and next week will be spent entirely with the pharmacist on the different floors. Yesterday I followed one of the Pharmacy resident and her preceptor at the ER for part of the day. We reviewed cases, worked through the reasoning behind what the ER doc's were prescribing meds for and responded to a couple of codes.

Susan

That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet

Hey guys! Just a suggestion... with so many people being able to post here (including both campuses), it might be a good idea to put your name at the bottom of the post. I'd hate to get confused...

Nick

Make some noise!

Heidi and I are at Fairview Southdale right now and have a little advice for anyone who is getting discouraged. MAKE SOME NOISE. The first few hours on the first day we got here were as terrible as expected. We got a "schedule" following technicians around, never interacting with pharmacists. We decided to talk with our preceptor and brought up our concerns of an inadequate learning experience. We came to realize that the hospital sites are just as confused and unprepared as we are and, for the most part, are willing to tailor the experience to meet students needs. Now we spend roughly half the day learning procedural things and interacting with the entire pharmacy team and the other half working on such project as usage and adverse effects of 3% NS, updating bioterrorism preparedness guides, updating IV reference materials, and comparing outcomes of patients who got med rec from nurses versus pharmacy staff.

So really, be pushy, be noisy, be polite, and let them know what you want out of your IPPE experience.

Brandon Young and Heidi Brady

Greetings from the North Land

Woohoo-- First blog entry!

Here in International Falls, I may not be as far north as Kirsten is, but I can see Canada from my house. That means that in addition to being a PD3, I am also an expert at foreign relations. I was worried that there wouldn't be enough to see at the Falls Memorial Hospital which had about 4 admitted patients when I arrived on Monday morning, but I needn't have been. I've already learned what Fournier's Gangrene is, researched possible reasons for a phenytoin toxicity, and investigated how allopurinol may precipitate further gout attacks. Whew!

The best reason to be up here, besides all the wonderful nature fun that occurs, is that my preceptor is fantastic-- he's this year's MSHP Pharmacist of the Year! And to think all this time we've been letting NDSU students (who are very nice people by the way) take all his rotation spots. . .

Welcome to the PDIII IPPE Experiences Blog

Hey PDIII's! Since the first block of our class just finished the IPPE's we thought it would be kind of fun to have an outlet for all of us to talk about it and stay connected through a blog. So . . . talk about funny stories, anecdotes and experiences that happened to you at your location. Give the rest of us some 'fair warning, a heads-up,' or just 'good old fashioned advice!' We hope your summer is going well, you're missed and September will be here soon enough (yuck!).

Camille, Nick & Kurt