Assignment6

This week's blog is on Idea Evaluation:

My top ten ideas are below. For sketches, look in the blog post "Assignment5".

1. A Merino Wool Facemask.

2. A Facemask with Earmuffs.

3. A Facemask with Colors, perhaps matching your school or favorite sports team.

4. A Facemask that has straps that clasp by magnets (Not getting caught in hair).

5. A Facemask with a velcro mouth flap so you can eat, sneeze, or talk on the phone.

6. A Facemask with a fitted pocket for a phone so it is held by your ear/mouth.

7. A Facemask with a throat mike for easier talking on the phone.

8. A Facemask with a velcro ear flap so you can talk on the phone.

9. A Facemask with vents over the fabric covering your mouth so you can breathe easily
and still stay warm.

10. A Facemask with a metal nose form and felt strip under the eyes so no hot air would go up and fog glasses.

I am evaluating my ideas by the NMF (novel, marketable, feasible) test. This allows me to make informed decisions about which ideas to pursue and if any modifications are required.

MARKETABLE:

I made a poll:

"Hi People:
For my Product Design class I need to do a poll. I am going to list ten variations of a winter facemask. I understand that some of you do not tend to use these because you are in a cold-deprived climate. However, at some point in your life no doubt you might use one. Please in a comment say IF you would buy this ideation of a facemask, and if so how much you would pay for it.

[My ten ideas]

Example: 1. Yes, 30 dollars.
2. No.
3. Yes. 24 dollars.
...."

I also put some pictures of example facemasks.

I received feedback from 18 people.

Ranked, the top 5 ideas were:

1. A Facemask with vents over the fabric covering your mouth so you can breathe easily
and still stay warm.
People would pay 25.83 on average for it.

2. A Facemask with a metal nose form and felt strip under the eyes so no hot air would go up and fog glasses.
People would pay 27.50 on average for it.

3. A Facemask with Earmuffs.
People would pay 21.50 on average for it.

4. A Facemask with a velcro mouth flap so you can eat, sneeze, or talk on the phone.
People would pay 27.88 on average for it.

5. A Facemask with Colors, perhaps matching your school or favorite sports team.
People would pay 24.70 on average for it.

So there is a range of 20-30 US Dollars here (I had some confusion with currencies for some of my overseas poll-takers).

I also received qualitative feedback which I will use to evolve my idea further.

NOVEL:

For my "Vented" mask, I found 5 similar ones on Amazon:
1. Light Weight Black Neoprene Thermal Fleece Vent Half Face Mask Facemask Balaclava Riding Cycling Bike Mountain Bike MTB Bicycle Cycle Bicycle Motocross BMX Adventures X-Sports Extreme Sport New costing 109.99

2. New Joker Clown Neoprene Full Face Mask Muzzle Motorcycle Nose Mouth Adj Size costing 11

3. Hunter Camo Facemask costing 20.99

4. SkulSkinz Hunter Orange Neoprene Face-mask Reversible to Black for 10.99

5. AIRPLANE NEOPRENE FULL FACE MASK NOSE MOUTH VENT SNOW for 11.95

I used the dimensions of "Scary" and "Price"

2x2 vent.jpg

My area of opportunity here is expensive and scary masks. With vents.

1. Under Armour Men's Coldgear Hood for 25

2. Hunter's Specialties Camo Flex Form II Jersey 3/4 Face Mask for 8.49

3. Medical Face Mask - 50 Disposable Earloop Surgical Facemasks for Procedure, Antiviral, Cleanroom, Hospital, Doctors... for 9.99

4. GMax Balaclavas Facemask - Cotton for 6.99

5. Primos Ninja Cotton Full-Hood Face Mask - Mossy Oak New Break-Up for 10.71

2x2 form.jpg

I used the dimensions of "Quality" and "Price"

My area of opportunity here is expensive masks of any quality. That are form fitting.

1. Husqvarna ProForest Chain Saw Helmet System 44.07

2. Unisex Fashion Winter Warm Outdoor Cycling Hat Cap Face Mask Ear Muff (Orange) 10.69

3. Outdoor Designs Chillibalaclava 24.99

4. STEVE YIWU Thickening Villi Oftaliban Type Winter Protection Mask/Ear Cover (pink small flower) 9.99

5. SKI FACE MASK- THREE HOLE ADULT BLACK 4.99

2x2 earmuffs.jpg

I used the dimensions of "Color" and "Price"

My area of opportunity here is expensive masks that are not colorful. That have earmuffs.

1. Neoprene Carbon Mask - Multi-Purpose Dust Mask with 2 Carbon Filters and 10 External Filters 27.47

2. Face Mask Fleece Balaclava Half Mask Bike Mask (Black Fleece) Velcro 9.99

3. RZ Mask Active Carbon Filters, Black, Regular 21.81

4. Schampa Lightweight Skull Face Mask VNG008 12.21

5. Seirus Innovation Men's Neofleece Scarf Combo 9.99

2x2 mouth flap.jpg

I used the dimensions of "Warmth" and "Price"

My area of opportunity here is expensive (or not so expensive) masks that are warm. That have velcro mouth flaps.

1.Hot Leathers Assassin Face Mask (Black) 8.15

2.DISPOSABLE EARLOOP FACE MASK BLUE 50/BX 5.35

3.Candy Color Ultra Thin Ski Face Mask - Great Under A Bike / Football Helmet -Balaclava 5.99

4.Face Ski Mask 3 Hole (More Colors) 1.99

5. PURPLE-Breathable Windproof ski Motorcycle Bike Cycling Fleece Face Mask Protection Masks Neck Warmer Soild Color 12.98

2x2 color.jpg

I used the dimensions of "Aesthetics" and "Price"

My area of opportunity here is expensive masks. That have the potential to be lots of colors.

A preliminary patent search was run:

1. Patent Number 5921239, Issued 1999
http://www.google.co.in/patents/US6779524

2. Patent Number 20080134418, Issued 2006
http://www.google.com/patents/US20080134418

3. Patent Number CN 202104257, Issued 2012
http://www.google.com/patents/CN202104257U

4. Patent Number 4167185, Issued 1979
http://www.google.com/patents/US4167185

5. Patent Number 4488547, Issued 1984
http://www.google.com.mx/patents/US4488547

FEASIBLE:

The biggest concern for my first idea is making it stand up to repeated washings.

The biggest concern for my second idea is building it due to complexity.

The biggest concern for my third idea is figuring out how to fasten it to the ears.

The biggest concern for my fourth idea is figuring out how to "stow" the flap.

The biggest concern for my fifth idea is licensing.

Despite that merino wool did not rank too high in my poll, I still want to use it in my masks. However, it is quite expensive, so I will stick with wool at $1.67 per pound .

As this is a rough manufacturing cost assessment, we learned the formula of
bulk price times 10 to get to retail price.
Or, from the slides:
retail price = 10 x material cost

So for all of my ideas I am looking at 16.70 for costs. I say all of them because I do not want to copy and paste this 5 times, and it is the same mask, with a few different features.

My 5 top ideas ranged from 21.50 to 27.88, all of which are comfortably above my rough costs threshold!

Adam-

You did a nice job of being thorough and covering all the expected points. "Despite that merino wool did not rank too high in my poll, I still want to use it in my masks. However, it is quite expensive, so I will stick with wool at $1.67 per pound." I think this was a good decision. Sometimes there's things that I really want to incorporate into a product/project, but based on feedback, it's not what people actually want. Sometimes that's the hardest part with a project!

Adam-

Adam-

You did a great job in the Novel section, and tracked down a ton of potential competitors and patents. I think the next step to making that section even better would be doing your 2x2s on a computer, so you could add in pictures of all of these (obviously inferior) products.

I know you may have been somewhat limited by your sub-theme, but your scope seems fairly narrow (10 iterations on the facemask). It might be a bit late to think about now, but it would have been great to see you do some research outside of the facemask space (e.g. other types of winter headwear, ways to keep faces warm in the winter, bank robber face concealment methods, and so on). As it is, you essentially have ten products that people are willing to pay the same price for (~$25) and cost the exact same to manufacture. Your products are all so similar to one another that I fear in might be tough to pick the winner in Assignment #7.

It was good that you included pictures in the survey. It could have helped if you had gone in greater depth with your survey questions though. A comments section or thoughts on the idea section could have helped give you ideas for design alterations to be made to the products and better understand consumer views on your product.

It seems as if you did a thorough job at researching all of your products, but your lack of pictures really diminishes this work. I'm unsure of how the products look and their key features. The hand-drawn 2x2s could be neater and more easy to follow. If you couldn't do it on a computer, you could have attempted to hand draw images of the products for greater clarity.