« Communicating in 2.0/Instant Messaging | Main | Wrap Up »

UM Connect Web Conferencing

It was really easy to go in and set up a web conference. Obviously it would take a little more if I was really inviting people and had to coordinate the telephone conference as well, but it is really slick. I could see using this for team meetings at the very least. We could upload the agenda and various reports that we would typically get in hard copy at a face to face meeting. We do conference calls but this would be a little more interactive. I didn't do a lot of experimenting but would this allow people to all look at a document and edit it while everyone has it on the screen. I saw a demonstration of WebEx at a church event and people could do that and also "write" with their cursors in different colors. Each person would have a different color. I know that the EE's in Food Science participate in "webinars" on subject matter like Listeria bacteria sponsored by some Food Science Department or Health Department in the country. They also have a journal hour which has been a confernce call. The journal article and sometime power points are e-mailed out and they each look at their own screen. This might be a better way to do it. For some kinds of basic food safety training they might use this with an audience from the food service industry. It is very cool.