More vested interest vilification of virtual colonscopy decision

The Colon Cancer Alliance has distributed a statement of disappointment over Medicare’s decision not to pay for virtual colonoscopy.

Let's do a reality check on what they say in that statement.

"This decision now leaves millions of older Americans exposed to a higher risk of colon cancer.”

• Nope. Not one bit higher than it was the day before the decision was made. The risk is the same. Ridiculous fear-mongering rhetoric.

“It also exacerbates an unequal standard of care between Medicare beneficiaries, who do not have the choice to undergo a virtual colonoscopy, and those with private insurance who do.”

• Euphemism for rationing – battle cry of almost any anti-health care reform movement.

"By denying coverage for virtual colonoscopy, CMS is sending the signal that increased screening amongst the Medicare beneficiary population is unimportant.”
• Hmmm. I didn’t get that signal at all. I heard a signal of “show me the evidence in a Medicare population.” Period. There's no denial of payment for methods WITH solid evidence in a Medicare population.

By the way, the Colon Cancer Alliance is sponsored by a host of drug companies and by GE Healthcare, which makes and sells virtual colonoscopy machines.

Let's be clear: I don't have a dog in this hunt. I have nothing to gain or lose by Medicare's payment decisions - no more than any other taxpayer. But I can't stand the rhetoric. And I'm going to write about it whenever I have the chance.

Score:

Gastroenterologists =1
Radiologists=0

This page contains a single entry by Gary Schwitzer published on May 14, 2009 2:02 PM.

The seamy, seedy side of celebrity drug promotions was the previous entry in this blog.

News orgs that let pharma make claims before releasing data is the next entry in this blog.

Wikio - Top of the Blogs - Health

Add to Technorati Favorites