Choosing to go without health insurance

My friend Duncan Moore, who knows health care and health insurance because he writes about it, has chosen to go without coverage and writes about it in the Los Angeles Times. Excerpt:

I believe in insurance. Honestly, it is foolhardy for a middle-class person to go without it. Yet as long as the insurers can use medical underwriting to exclude poor risks and redline preexisting conditions -- sometimes retroactively -- insurance isn't worth what we're being asked to pay.

I'm looking forward to the day when all of us will qualify for good medical insurance at reasonable prices, with a firm regulatory hand behind it. If we all have to pay into the system in order to make health reform work, so be it. I'll gladly pay if I'm assured of getting the services I contracted for.

In October, I'll hit 12 months without insurance, and I will have saved about $6,000 that otherwise would have padded the profits of the insurance companies.

I don't know how people can afford insurance any more, but you never know when something will happen to you and if you don't have insurance you would never get out of debt.

My wife and I lowered our coverage this year because we couldn't afford what we had last year and if anything happens we will have to pay 2,500 which we don't have, but that is better than having to pay $200.000.

There are so many issues that need to be fixed with health insurance. The biggest one is not having the ability to buy our own insurance without it being ridiculously expensive. We shouldn't have to rely on employers. We need more competition between insurance companies and the ability to choose a la carte.

This certainly strikes a chord with me. Although I have a job with group health insurance, it is a job I hate, and employees pay about 70 percent of the cost of insurance. I maintain the job and insurance so that my wife, who needs it, will have coverage. If it were just me, I'd probably quit and go without coverage. Insurance by definition is risk management. In my opinion, insurance companies charge outrageous prices for managing less and less risk. I think there is a sort of tipping point--different for each of us--where the cost is no longer worth it.

This page contains a single entry by Gary Schwitzer published on September 21, 2009 8:27 AM.

No way to cover new medical devices was the previous entry in this blog.

You may need therapy if you watch CBS Early Show is the next entry in this blog.

Wikio - Top of the Blogs - Health

Add to Technorati Favorites