Drugmaker recruits big bucks hired guns to promote its new drug

Psychiatrist Daniel Carlat has been blogging this week about drugmaker Schering-Plough making "aggressive use of hired guns to get psychiatrists to prescribe its new antipsychotic" SAPHRIS (asenapine) for the treatment of both schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.

Carlat writes:

"Oddly, the company just sent me a SAPHRIS Speaker Bureau invitation packet. I guess my 2007 New York Times Magazine memoir describing the tangled ethics of promotional speaking has not yet become required reading at Schering-Plough. ...

They offered me $170,000 for 125 presentations (of 45 minutes each)...

What a fiasco for the company. Talk about a bad stumble as they are about to launch their new antipsychotic. I haven't heard any official Schering-Plough comment on this matter yet, but here is how I predict the statement will read: "Speaker programs are intended to enhance a healthcare professional's knowledge and patient care expertise." Wait--they can't use that line, because it was already used by Eli Lilly. I guess they'll have to make up their own sophisticated BS."

This page contains a single entry by Gary Schwitzer published on September 11, 2009 8:53 AM.

Who you gonna call? Ghostwriting busters! was the previous entry in this blog.

How to Understand Our Acceptance of Lies, Distortions, and Myths About Health Care Reform is the next entry in this blog.

Wikio - Top of the Blogs - Health

Add to Technorati Favorites