Ref Desk Wiki | Sign in

Recently in Reference Tips Category

In case you missed this, it would appear that Libraries to U will no longer be scanning articles from our collection for a fee. This goes in tandem with the recent change in journal loan policy. U of M affiliates can now request whole journal volumes through Get It.

http://www.lib.umn.edu/services/libtou

Tax forms

I've been asked about tax forms a few times recently, so I thought I'd share what I've found:

This is the second question I've had in my last two shifts about Powder Diffraction Files, so I would bet that there's an assignment out there. If someone comes up to the desk asking about how to find PDFs, they might not be talking about online articles. :) They're looking for a set of Powder Diffraction Files that are located at QC482 .D5 P63. They might already have the PDF number (e.g. 37-453), but if they don't, there are indexes, such as the Hanawalt Search Manual (QC482.D5 P633).

If the patron is looking for set 37, and it looks like the series ends at 36, look around. Sets 1-36 are split into two series, one for inorganic and one for organic. After 37, they're combined in a set of red volumes. All three series have the same call number: QC482 .D5 P63

I hope this saves you a little time searching!

New widget for finding videos in the Smart Commons

Scott Spicer pointed out this new resource for finding videos. It's Javascript-based interface that links to MNCat; good for when you're specifically interested in searching for videos by Title, Director, or Genre.

One drawback I've found is that the code calls for opening a new window upon submitting a search, but you have to add lib.umn.edu to your browser's pop-up exception list for the new window to show.

Check it out: http://lib.umn.edu/media

I've added a bookmarked link to the Firefox toolbar on the Ref Desk computer.

Ordering Dissertation -- non-University individuals

Using a special form offered by Proquest, anyone can search and order a copy of a dissertation. Searching is very limited (author and exact title), but free. Link

Social Media

Subscribe to this blog's atom feed to receive updates

September 2011

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30  

Subscribe to Blog

Powered by MT-Notifier