Greenbook.org- Changes in Grocery Shopping Patterns

Changes in Grocery Shopping Patterns driven by demos and technology
This specific article, "Changes in Grocery Shopping Patterns driven by demos and technology" caught my attention right away because we've learned about topics similar to this in class before. I thought the title was interesting because I started buying groceries online when I lived in the dorms freshman year, and since then I've been more dependent on buying groceries on the Internet (Gopher Grocery). The article goes into depth about how many more Baby Boomers and their kids are using the Internet to order groceries because they are more familiar with computers, are "busier" so they don't have time to run to the grocery store, and like that their groceries are delivered to their house so they don't have to leave. Online grocery shopping has become more popular, and the article gives statistics about how many people are joining online grocery shopping, how often they use it, etc. Therefore, this article relates to topics that we've learned in class because our society today has become very dependent on technology (specifically the Internet), so companies are changing their businesses so they fulfill their consumers' wants.

Link: http://www.greenbook.org/marketing-research.cfm/changes-in-grocery-shopping-patterns-driven-by-demos-and-technology-11906

Greenbook.org- Article about Video Importance

This article, called "The Importance of Video in Delivering Research Insight," explains all of the ways that videos help people understand the basics about valuable research that people use to make conclusions about important topics. I was interested in reading about this because I feel like I learn more things when I watch videos about topics because there are sounds, graphics, pictures, etc. that make the information more exciting than just black and white font on a paper. The article goes into depth about how researcher Ted Frank made a presentation at a work conference about how important videos and pictures are when talking about research insights. He also states later in the article that pictures/videos can be very useful for focus groups, in depth interviews, etc. when trying to find research about people. He also included other tips, such as adding music, close-up pictures, adding an emotional connection with audiences, etc. to help people understand tough topics more easily. Overall, this article was really interesting because it described in depth about how important visual objects are for research insights and what researchers can do to make their studies more interesting to their participants.

Link: http://www.newqualitative.org/blog/the-importance-of-video-in-delivering-research-insight/

Greenbook.org- Secret Shopper

After learning about Greenbook.org in class, I decided to look it up on the Internet. I decided to look at all of the different kind of market research and volunteer opportunities that they have all over the USA, but the "Secret Shopper" stood out to me right away. Since I was a hostess for three years at a restaurant in Eden Prairie, MN, I'm used to the term "Secret Shopper." They are random people that sign up to become a "shopper" and get to go to different restaurants in the area (eat, drink, enjoy the atmosphere, etc.) and then grade the restaurant after they leave so it's confidential. This kind of information is extremely important to restaurants because they want every single customer to be happy with all of the services that they provide, and if the secret shoppers rate the restaurant low in anything then the managers know that they need to make changes (fire people, new meals on the menu, etc.) Therefore, I'm actually considering being a Secret Shopper because I've been "shopped" before at the restaurant that I worked at, so I would be interested in being on the "other side" of the experience.

Link: http://www.greenbook.org/company.cfm/Secret-Shopper

U of M Health Behaviors of College Women

U of M Health Behaviors of College Women Survey- Melissa Kwon
I'm assuming that I received this email to take this "U of M Health Behaviors of College Women Survey" because I'm a female student at the U of M. The first page reminded me that all of my answers are confidential and that taking the study was completely confidential. This study was different because I had to be a female, I had to be between the ages of 18-25, and I had to be a University of Minnesota student. Like a few other surveys I found, there was an incentive as well- a chance to win 1 of 24 $25 Target Giftcards. That especially made me want to take the survey because I love shopping at Target and since there was more than one prize (24 in total), I had a better chance of winning. The main point of the survey was for U of M women to explain what decisions they make about their personal health behaviors. The questions mostly consisted of open-ended questions, but also contained the basic type of survey questions (nominal, ordinal, ratio, and asked about my demographics, etc.)

Melissa Kwon Study.png

PRSSA National Student Survey

PRSSA National Student Survey
Although I receive a lot of emails from prssa.org, I specifically wanted to take this survey because it's the "PRSSA National Student Survey" that is sent to every PRSSA member around the United States. Again, the consent form stated that taking the survey was completely voluntary, and they also used another free iPad as an incentive to take the survey, but I wanted to take this survey to see what kind of questions they asked every kind of PRSSA member. In addition, based off of the research that the researchers find from members' responses, they put a box at the end of survey to put your email so the researchers can send you information on what they concluded about PRSSA in general, what they plan on keeping the same and what they are changing for the future. This made me interested in taking the survey since I was an active PRSSA member my freshman year, I want to see how similar and different being in the club is because I'm thinking about joining again if it still seems fun.

PRSSA National Student Survey.png

PRSSA Work Life Balance Survey

PRSSA Work Life Balance Survey
I also received another email from prssa.org to answer questions about how I feel about "the intersection of work and life issues at their future public relation jobs" from the study called (PRSSA Work Life Survey). The beginning of the survey was a consent form, and explained how I was randomly selected to take the survey out of every PRSSA group in the USA, how the study is completely voluntary, confidential, and that I was older than 18 years old (which was different than the other studies I received.) The questions consisted of nominal, ordinal, likert, semantic, open-ended, and questions about my demographics (similar to the other surveys). In the consent form, it says that all of the responses will be reviewed after to figure out ways that PRSSA leaders can help guide PRSSA members on how to balance work and play in their daily lives.

PRSSA Work Life Survey.png

U of M Focus Group Invite

U of M- Focus Group Invite
Since I'm in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication (SJMC), I received an email from the school to participate in a focus group about the Journalism Library that I study at quite a bit. Although it interested me since I study at this library a few times a week, I was busy during the times that the focus group was being held. In the description, it says that the Journalism Library is going to be changing and the people in charge wants to get feedback from students about what they like/don't like so they can make it better. I'm assuming the questions will be structured, semi-structured, and specifically with questions that are nominal but mostly open-ended so students can explain themselves fully. Therefore, the people in charge of the focus group will take the information that they gathered and put together ideas about what changes they can make that's in their budget but also tends to students' wants and needs.

SJMC- Focus Group Invite.png

Diverse Learning Survey

Diverse Learning Survey- Rickey Hall
I received this mass email survey because I'm on the University of Minnesota student email database. Although I didn't take this survey because the link expired, I read the description about it. Rickey Hall, the researcher that sent out this email and who probably made the survey, sent the survey to every student at the U of M probably because he wants to know more about all of the ways people learn and study around campus. In the description, it says that the same survey is sent out every year to students at different universities around the country. The point of this 20 minute survey is for U of M faculty and administrators to understand and improve the undergraduate college at UMTC.

Rickey Hall Survey Invite.png

PRSSA Ethics Survey

PRSSA Ethics study from prssa.org
Since I was a U of M PRSSA member my freshman year, I still receive emails from prssa.org and I get these emails every once in awhile about the program. The title of this study is called "PRSSA Ethics Study" and it took me about 20 minutes to complete. There was a consent form at the beginning, a description of the study, and reminded me that I had the chance to win a free iPad for taking the survey if I put my email in at the end of the survey. The survey consisted of regular survey questions that I stated before in the other surveys, but this one was also different because there were more questions and there was an incentive at the end to make me want to take the survey (to be put into a drawing to win the iPad). I'm assuming that based off of all of the responses of the people that took it, the PRSSA members will make conclusions about what is going well with the program and what they need to work on.

PRSSA Ethics Survey.png

University Brand Perception Survey

University Brand Perception Survey
I also completed another survey that I signed up through the SJMC Research Pool website so I could receive extra credit for a few of my journalism courses. This specific study was called "University Brand Perception, the .xxx Domain, and Pornography" and the survey consisted of questions about the new .xxx domain that was created for adult sites on the Internet and how the associated with pornography affects peoples' perceptions of the University. The survey contained a medium-length article about the .xxx domain and other important information/facts about it, and from there I answered a series of questions of how I thought that link would affect the image of certain schools (including the University of Minnesota).

SJMC-University.png