i screwed up but im still posting this somewhere

I was completely wrong about this class coming into it. I remember being terrified after the first class. I thought I was coming into some sort of media analysis class. Nope. Not quite. We were expected to create. I’m Debbie. I don’t do that. I don’t have a creative bone in my body...

Continue reading "i screwed up but im still posting this somewhere" »

the digital queer

queer capture.png

Blogs are unique from any other kind of media, or even personal writing. They aren’t “unbiased? news coverage, in that they have a good deal of opinion attached. They aren’t diaries, in that diaries typically aren’t meant to be read, and blogs have an audience in mind.

Continue reading "the digital queer" »

Queereographies

On April 18, I went to “Queereographies? at the Barbara Barker Center. My roommate interns for Patrick’s Cabaret, so I volunteered with ticket collection and got to see the show for free. She told me it seemed like my kind of thing. It was. I liked it a lot. The show was a series of seven performances. The performances were pretty random; there wasn’t a very specific standard that the artists were required to meet.

Continue reading "Queereographies" »

more cosmetics...

I talked about a bill Sen. Anderson was working on in the MN Senate. I sat in on a committee where it was heard, and think the bill is worth mentioning again. Sen. Anderson brought in American and European (Spanish, British, and French) magazines all advertising products that appear in our magazines and theirs. The point she was making was that it is possible to produce the same products under the standards of E.U. regulations that are nonexistent within the F.D.A.

Continue reading "more cosmetics..." »

Human Trafficking Digital Story

screen-capture-3.png

This digital story came from YouTube. The title of the story is "Trafficking of Women and Children." I viewed this in another course, and found the piece to be highly effective. There are clips throughout that offer statistics as to the frequency and devastation of human trafficking. The images are not always consistent. Sometimes it is difficult to grasp the meaning of a particular image, though the creator said the majority of the images came from childtrafficking.com Because there is no voice over, the song is a good choice. The haunting melody enhances the message. I would also note that because the message is clear to the reader via the statistics, the images to make sense contextually. I still find a few images to be random, such as the drawing about a fifth of the way in, but overall, it is a very moving and effective digital story.

Southern Comfort

I watched a documentary the other day in The History of the Body. We watched “Southern Comfort,? centering on a FTM man during his final year with terminal ovarian cancer.

The film raises a lot of gender issues, and a lot of social stigma issues. Robert, the main focus in the film, passes very easily…so easily that he is invited to a KKK meeting by men he meets in a bar.

Robert’s girlfriend, Lola is a very different person. Lola identifies as Lola; yet, when she works, she works as John, the persona she was before she came out. I believe this was because she hasn’t come out to her clients yet, and it was just easier to avoid that conversation for the time being.

At any rate, I think that the documentary says a lot about what it is to create media in a queer subculture. It is important to look at who the filmmaker is, what their slant may be. It is also important to look at what tidbits the filmmaker includes.

Continue reading "Southern Comfort" »

Marylin

screen-capture.jpg

Lindsay Lohan is the new Marylin Monroe? Apparently.

Reframings

In compiling the works of a number of women artists into one book, Diane Neumaier, editor of “Reframings: New American Feminist Photographies,? sought to create a feminist project that would showcase the works of feminist artists and, as such, share theories of feminist representations, critique various modes of feminist art, and reach out to more feminists to project their perspectives through the medium of art and creative display. Neumaier compiled the book before it became commonplace to access the works of various artists in such a way and with similar aims in one place online, through sites dedicated to such specific aims as “Reframings.? As such, “Reframings? becomes a source for aspiring artists, students, and feminists to uncover the work of a wide variety of women artists, and assists in the construction and understanding of various theories and practices of feminist art.

Continue reading "Reframings" »

Cosmetics

I am interning for Sen. Moua this semester. I interviewed, and accidentally ran into Sen. Anderson’s legislative assistant, with whom I was concurrently setting up an interview. Long story short, I did both interviews in one visit. Long self-analysis short, I don’t know how to say “no.? I blame it on the fact that my class was the only year to be denied D.A.R.E. when I was in elementary school. Or wait, I think I read somewhere that dare has an adverse affect… Hmm…

Anyway, I digress. I agreed to the first internship. The internship with Senator Anderson involved more research than legislative experience, which is more of what I am looking for. However, her research is really interesting. I agreed to work in part, during low times, on that as well.

Continue reading "Cosmetics" »

See Unt

Alright. So, my boyfriend called me a cunt a few weeks back. I’ve never been able to reclaim the word for my own personal, empowering use. I feel like this contention deserves a discussion, and what better place to state my own opinion, than on my own, personal, feminist blog.

Continue reading "See Unt" »

test post

test post

Continue reading "test post" »