« Queereographies | Main | i screwed up but im still posting this somewhere »

the digital queer

queer capture.png

Blogs are unique from any other kind of media, or even personal writing. They aren’t “unbiased? news coverage, in that they have a good deal of opinion attached. They aren’t diaries, in that diaries typically aren’t meant to be read, and blogs have an audience in mind.

I think that blogs are like an intentionally publicized diary.

The quote above, from Rak’s “The Digital Queer,? shows a lot that I feel can accurately be said about a blog. It is not a private space. Blogs are meant to be read. They are also meant to be personal. The personal perspective of the author intentionally shows through. We want to know something about the author of the blog. They become a space where authors can reveal what they choose about themselves--true or false.

I think about my friend’s high school boyfriend coming out on myspace. I think about my ex constructing stories that would piss me off, because they were “entertaining.? I, of course, thought he was demeaning me. The interpretation of the reader also plays a part in blogs.

Blogging allows an author to create the guise that they are writing a personal journal entry; Every word of a published blog, though, is thought out in respect to who will read it and what readers will interpret from it.

I think that blogging does allow for an increase in the perspectives available in the media. In particular, I read Pam’s House Blend which addresses queer issues. Those kinds of issues are only available in small doses or in independent magazines. This way, several updates per day address queer issues across the country, and to an extent abroad.

Blogs create a space for self creation and identity, and allow a person creative control over their identity. They also create a space for underrepresented issues. It is just important that you browse blogs with a wikipedia mindset: it may be fabricated.