Introductions

Hello everyone, this is Allyson. I'll get us started.

As I mentioned in class, when I was an undergraduate I worked on a student produced television show that made music videos for local bands. Eventually the show started to do some work with more nationally known musicians. Shortly before graduation I went to a show and ended up speaking with the lead singer of a long-defunct band I'd loved since high school (Operation Ivy). He was very nice to me and my assistant producer, and better yet, he expressed interest/willingness to have us shoot his new band when they next came to town. It never happened - I graduated, and I think the band broke up - but it was still pretty awesome.

In addition to teaching COMM 3201 and writing about the digital game industry, I love watching TV. I'm particularly into sci-fi/fantasy/superhero related shows, very silly comedies, and all sorts of shows from the '90s. This clip is from a show that fits solidly in the "silly" category. "Look Around You" is a British comedy that spoofs 1970s/1980s educational films. I love the writing, and I appreciate the detail with which they created an aesthetic appropriate to the genre & time period, from sound design to set design to performance & video quality. (The "Maths" episode is one of my favorites, but this clip is pretty funny, too).