Prompt #5 Framing: Lindsey

bad boys 2 (5).jpg

Bad Boys 2 is about two Narcotics cops Mike Lowrey and Marcus Bennett who head up a task force investigating the flow of ecstasy into Miami. Their search leads to a dangerous drug-lord, whose plan to control the city's drug traffic has touched off an underground war, catching Syd (Marcus's sister) in the middle of all of it.
This particular scene is where Mike and Marcus are chasing some guys (who tried to high-jack Syd's car and run her down) through the city of Miami. This shot in particular is a tilted horizon to convey the amount of action and also in a way focus on Marcus, shooting at his 'targets', conveying that a brother's love is limitless when it comes to protecting his sister. I surprisingly think that the clip leaves a reasonable amount of headroom considering the fast pace, thrilling shot.

I haven't seen Bad Boys 2, but my guess is that this is nowhere near the end of the film based on the framing. It seems to represent the uphill battle ahead for Marcus.

I agree with your assessment that this looks to represent an uphill battle for Marcus and his partner (or whoever is driving). I also thought that the lead room seemed a little smaller than in a conventional scene with just some regular driving. This may be because the director is trying to make the audience feel a little more confined or caged-in since the character has few choice other than violence to get his sister back. The short lead room could also add suspense and action to the shot since we don’t know what’s coming down the road ahead. I also think this particular shot is cool because when I first saw it I thought the characters were trying to outrun the cops but upon reading your explanation it seems like the cops are helping our characters and providing backup (I haven’t seen the movie so I could be completely off in that observation). I thought this shot was a little different take on the usual car chase scene where the characters are chasing someone rather than trying to outrun them.

I agree with you, I think that this clip is a very cool clip because it does show that this will be an uphill battle. I think the shot is also really cool because it uses the rule of thirds in a very cool way. The titled horizon also does provide that "action" setting and makes the movie really epic.