Motion: 300

For this blog post, I chose to look at a clip of a fight scene, mostly in slow motion, from the movie 300. This scene shows a battle between the outnumbered Spartan Army against a larger army. The Spartans go on to win this battle. King Leonidas is the major focus of the scene, and he goes on to kill a lot of the other soldiers in a short period of time. This scene is a good example of slow motion. I would say that about half of the scene is slow-motion. It creates a cool dynamic between the slow motion and regular motion of the camera, the camera returns to slow motion when Leonidas makes kills. The slow motion of the kills creates an emphasis on them and tells the audience that even though the Spartans are outnumbered, they are much more skilled and have more courage.

This scene makes great use of primary and secondary motion. The primary motion is of course Leonidas and his soldiers fighting the other army and killing them, with the secondary motion of the camera zooming in to make the fighting more intense. The secondary motion of the camera makes the experience intensity of the scene very high. The camera slows down and zooms in whenever Leonidas makes a kill, and he kills a lot of people in a short period of time.

I love the movie 300. I remember when it first came out I thought why other movies didn’t employ the same strategy of slowing down action-packed moments. So many times in movies, I lose sight of what is going on because it is moving too quickly and there is too much going on. In this scene, it’s really easy to focus on Leonidas because of the secondary motion of the camera keeping him in constant focus. Leonidas moves so swiftly that if he weren’t in slow motion, I likely wouldn’t be able to see what he was doing. I also like how you mention the slow motion because I think it does a great job of emphasizing the speed and skill of the Spartan warriors as compared to the Persians. In slow motion, we can see the Persians just running and flailing while the Spartans are composed and skilled. This movie has a lot of memorable attributes but I think the strategic use of slow motion is a great way to show action without looking cheesy.

In this clip I really like how the camera slows down and zooms every time Leonidas makes a kill, like you noted. This movie uses great secondary motion as well as primary motion in a lot of the battle scenes. The slow motion throughout also helps show how big this battle is and also helps show all of the action scenes.

Awesome scene. Defiantly action packed and entertaining. I think the slow motion really adds to the scene and makes it better and more intense. Nice choice

This is just one of those awesome clips where the use of slow motion actually has a purpose. It dramatizes the fighting and the slow and artful way of fighting and then speeds back of for the dramatic and hard hitting contact points. The zooms into the shots timed with the speed up and slow down is just excellent. This movie was one that not a lot of people appreciated but I think it was rather well done to be completely honest.