Wes Anderson and Slow-motion

I chose to use a scene from Wes Anderson's "The Royal Tenenbaums". In this scene, Richie Tenenbaum (Luke Wilson) is picking up his adopted sister, Margot (Gwyneth Paltrow) by way of the green bus. The movie reveals that Richie and Margot have somewhat of a love affair even though she is married and is his adopted sister.

I chose this scene because of Wes Anderson's use of slow motion. I consider Anderson my favorite director and a pioneer in slow motion comedic shots. Even though this scene is not very comical, the use of slow motion still has some meaningfulness. Anderson is known to use slow motion while silencing all sound and then potting up a song that encompasses the emotion in the scene. For this example, the slow motion shots of both Wilson and Paltrow while listening to Nico's "These Days" forces the audience to fully relish themselves within the moment and feel the emotion each character has for each other.

I enjoyed the unique use of motion in this clip right from the beginning. At the start of the scene, Luke Wilson is walking on the z-axis towards the camera. Then, he shifts and makes primary motion along the x-axis while the camera makes secondary motion on the x-axis to follow him. This makes the scene more dynamic and interesting right off the bat even though all he is doing is walking.
I like this use of slow motion for a couple of reasons. For me, I first interpreted the slow motion to almost be a parody of classic slow motion scenes in which the star is slowed down so that we can gaze upon her for an extended period of time. On a second glance, I appreciate the slow motion for how it can be interpreted as Luke Wilson's point of view. He sees Margot in figurative slow motion as a way of focusing on her and taking in all of her features after not seeing her for a while. The slow motion allows us as the audience to also focus on how Margot looks straight forwards without breaking her eyesight. Due to Luke Wilson's focus, we just see him sitting perfectly still while others walk behind him in the background, yet Wilson is only concerned with the movement of Paltrow in front of him. Overall, I think that this scene is intended to be a little satiric while also being heartfelt.