Depth

greathall.jpg

This still is from the movie Harry Potter. This scene is during the great feast in the great hall. The depth is very well established in this scene. There is a very wide angle to show all of the image in focus. The depth is established through several elements, through the students, plates, candles, and building decor. The student body is diverse, including caucasians and students of color with an arrangement of different facial expressions and hair length. The plates are carefully placed so that on the closest table the further plates are clearly visible all the way until the end of the table.The candles hanging above are purposely made hard to distinguish where they are located to exaggerate the depth of the hall. The massive flame holders/wall ornaments contrast the candles as they help establish a conceivable depth. Overall, the different elements come together well to intensify the depth of the scene.

Color - Sin City

Yellow.jpg

This still is from the movie Sin City. The movie is shot almost in completely black and white except a few exceptions. One of the colors that is used is yellow. The character above is The Yellow Bastard, a villain in Sin City. While the color is yellow often has very positive connotations and symbolic meaning, The Yellow Bastard is portrayed with the darker meanings of yellow. The color is symbolic for the cowardice and illness of The Yellow Bastard. The black and white used in Sin City helps emphasize the importance of these select colors. While most films use subtle color placement, the contrast in Sin City truly exaggerates the dark symbolic meaning of yellow for The Yellow Bastard.

Wrap up

Overall, I think my work has improved so much since production one in so many ways, especially my knowledge in filmmaking. Over the course I learned lots of new vocabulary and filming techniques so by the time project 3 came around I was able to do a lot more in than the first. One way is the sound design. In my first production there were just a few short little sounds used. By production 2 and 3 there was music and more sounds, even during the credits. I thought lighting improved a lot too. The first production was very dark and hard to see. Also I thought by production 3 we were able to get full use of the set, we were able to create a scene that seemed like it was being filmed in two different places. I thought shot composition improved too, by production 3 we were using a variety of shots such as trucking and even punch ins. By the time production 3 came along everyone had a great understanding of each role so it was able to go very smoothly and people were able to help each other if need be. I think also our creativity as a class and the creativity we had in each production got better each time. By the final production we were able to write our own scripts and basically do what we want with it making really great productions. One piece of advice would be that it is a lot to take in at first and can be hard to understand all this new information but stay positive and keep trying and things will only get easier. Also, don't wait until the last minute to do the assignments, they take a while.
My parting words for the 3201-ers is that I had a great time working with everyone and getting to know everyone! Good luck with the rest of your college careers and hopefully we will have more classes together!

Wrap Up

Looking back at the growth from Production One and Production Three, I think we came a very long way in aspects to being able to focus less on the basic of how to do things. We focused more on executing things creatively and with more precision. We began to set production more efficiently and were able to work cohesively.

I believe that communication is the most important aspect of a production team. When Kelsey and I were running into issues, it only took a few seconds of communication to bring us to the same page to continue the production smoothly.

My advice to future 3201 kids is to be proactive in your production groups and to communicate efficiently and work together on productions rather than leaving it to a few people.

To my classmates, thank you for being so friendly and easy to work with. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors and if you run into problems, don't worry bout it.

WRAP UP

I feel the biggest improvement we had between project one and three is our lighting design, while the third was not perfect it was better executed and motivated. We understood reasonings for blocking and better communicated to our talent what we wanted them to portray the character as.
Communication between project one and project three was a BIG difference, we had many forms of communication and each fulfilled the role we had to.
The advice I would give a beginning 3201 is RULES, SAFTEY, and COMMUNICATION.

Wrap Up

I think our class improved greatly. While it is hard to take comprehensive look at the improvement regarding the finished products, the production that went into the projects definitely improved with each new assignment. Because we switched roles, it was difficult to improve individually at the task at hand. That said, it was beneficial as time went on to piggy back off of one another's knowledge from their work in the past projects. But static components like lighting and sound improved after seeing what worked and what didn't. Another key element was the class environment that really enhanced the cohesiveness of our projects. We were able to get to know each other and use that to our advantage in our projects. This was the first class i had taken that focused so greatly and put such a high emphasis on group work and I can happily say, everyone did a really great job together. I learned a lot in this class about the technical aspects that go into a production. Admittedly, i took this class mistaking it for social media, and obviously knew nothing about electronic media. Learning about the cameras, the monitors, the lighting boards, the switch boards, audio- all of it was new. I loved the first assignment, purely for getting the vague understanding of how much work goes into a short 2 minute production. A production book is no joke. Overall i learned so much, and feel confident that if a situation arose where a director was needed, i could hop in the chair.

Advice to future 3201 kids, be prepared to work hard, but go in with an open mind. YOU WILL HAVE TO BE TALENT. But it will be okay, i had fun with it. Do your readings. Do not wait for the last minute to do things. They really can't be done in a time crunch. Get to know your classmates. This is not a class you can take without working with others.

Thanks so much to everyone. I had a blast in the class, and though it was stressful and tedious at times, the class environment made it that much more fun. Peace.

Parody

I thought this was the perfect parody because The Vow was one of the best selling books and movies this year. The girl playing Rachel Mcadams is a youtube sensation and makes a ton of hilarious videos. In this video they use a few sexual references to make fun of the movie. It is almost disrespectful to the movie but I find it rather funny. The actors don't really take their roles seriously and they are very sarcastic which makes it funny and obviously a joke. They use many of the lines from the vow but reverse them. For example, instead of saying "I hope one day I can love you the way you love you" like they say in the vow. Kelsey rephrases it to " I hope one day you will leave me alone."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sei_MEK2BI

#parody

reminder- Allyson posting blog late

Wrap up

I see improvement all around. The lighting has improves dramatically, the range of camera motion has increased. Our first production was simple and it was pretty clean. It was at least cleaner than out production 3s because we had so much going on by production 3. The less elements in film making we had to apply the easier and more amateur the production was. By the 3rd production, we were trying out new elements such as the fly key, punch ins, z axis, etc. This is also why we had to make each shot count and with a purpose. There is definitely a visible difference in the quality between the first production and the last. Another interesting thing that took place is that by production 3, we had everything in our control. We went from a script where we had little control over, where everyone's production seem similar to a script where we controlled everything, where we saw variety. The productions has also become more entertaining, which is the main point when it comes to filming. In terms of materials learned in class and it;s applications, that is a definite answer, it is also very obvious. However, some other improvements are not as obvious. For example, the way we conduct ourselves around each other and around the tech. We know we need to follow safety instructions, it's some serious matter. Did you know each of those cameras cost $50,000 each! Not only has out production and course work improved, our friendship in the class improved as well. I see growth in everyone, from strangers who knew nothing of what we were doing to friends who would help and call out advice.

As for last words, I would like to thank everyone, especially if you were ever in my group. This class is all about team work and non of us could have done it with out each other. Have a great summer, follow your own intuition.

Wrap Up

From productions one to three, I think everyone improved quite a bit. Production books became easier to make (although in the first production, we had to do the entire thing). We came to understand lighting a little bit more and how important it really is (not enough lighting in production one), whether it's how many lights are on or not, and where they're positioned (how bright the scene is, and controlling fall off), and how color gels affect the mood of the scene. It was also nice to see more shot variety as we learned more about them and I think it really improved the entire composition. Compared to when we first started class, everyone now has gotten to know each other and everyone seems to get along pretty well, which also makes it easier to work together. We were able to set up and strike the set much quicker.

Advice for the next 3201-ers. Hmm...read the book. It really helps. And get to know your fellow classmates as well because the more comfortable you are with each other, the less stressful it becomes during pre-production and production.
Good luck to everyone in this class. It's been a pleasure working with and getting to know all of you. Maybe I'll see some of you around next year.

Wrap Up

I believe that everyone overall, progressed very well, from production one to production three. I do think that it is a little harder to measure progression in this particular class because each of us had a new role for each production, not allowing us to use what we had learned in those roles for the following production. That being said, I still say that the overall progression of everyone's abilities and comfort in the studio, especially during pre-production days and production days, was very good. By the pre-production day of Production Three, everyone had less questions to ask and there was a lot more of actual "production". On a more specific note, what I believe really had improved from the first production to the third was the types of shots used. Since shots were used in each production (obviously), unlike a punch in the third or a shot utilizing secondary motion in the second, I could see a very visible difference in the quality and smoothness of shots in general in each of the Production Threes. Another aspect of film that I believe everyone improved on was the ability to be flexible and innovative during shooting days.
If I were to give advice to someone starting out in 3201 I would have to say that since the class requires a lot more out-of-class time, you really have to be careful when managing your time, or maybe even just say that make sure you manage your time in general. Since you will be working with many others you will also have to always keep on open mind and be able to solve differences and disputes responsibly and maturely, for the rest of your group's sake. Other than that, make sure that you really wrap your head around what you are studying or designing. The material of the class is much more enjoyable (at least to me) than Calculus or any of the above, so why not take advantage of the fact that you are taking a class that can really be enjoyable.
Best wishes to everybody from class! It was a pleasure working with all of you and I'll never forget everything I learned with all of you guys! Also, thanks to Allyson, Raven, and Tim because if i was in their spot i would have snapped ASAP haha. Hopefully some of you are taking the advanced course next fall and have a good summer!

Recent Comments

• wuxxx814: Scary movie series are very good parodies. They essentially make read more
  • wuxxx814: Matrix. In action movies, using slow time and slow motion read more
  • wuxxx814: A lot of times in dance movies, time and motion read more
  • wuxxx814: Never seen the movie, I know the story though. Anyway read more
  • wuxxx814: The use of sound in battles or in actions are read more
  • wuxxx814: That is a bad ass picture. The way the sun read more
  • wuxxx814: I can see what you mean by the high energy read more
  • gamxx006: I definitely agree with Rob. When I saw this movie read more
  • gamxx006: I definitely like your three words of advice. As long read more
  • gamxx006: This parody serves as kind of an interesting critique of read more

Recent Assets

• greathall.jpg
  • Yellow.jpg
  • Screen shot 2013-04-21 at 4.08.51 PM.png
  • 33.jpg
  • the-shining-stanley-kubrick-jack-nicholson-long-hallway.jpg
  • Inception-movie-poster-7.jpg
  • Horror-Movie-Wishlist-Silent-Hill-horror-movies-9186950-1052-700.jpg
  • versace4.jpg
  • QQ截图20130129175845.png