Warm color and Cold color

Horror-Movie-Wishlist-Silent-Hill-horror-movies-9186950-1052-700.jpg

This picture is from movie Silent Hill. I really like this movie because the color used in this movie can correctly portray the environment in this movie. Especially, the warm color and cold color are used very perfectly. As we know, it is generally assumed that red is warm and blue is cold. Warm colors can give audience a sense of excitement, whereas cold color can dampen our mood. Nowadays, most of horror movies use cold color a lot to portray the scary feeling. For example, in the silent hill world, such as the picture showed above, the filmmaker makes the whole environment tend to be bluish. With the horrifying woman appearance in the movie, it can give audience an even more frightened feeling. In addition, I really like the ending part of Silent Hill because the filmmaker uses the contrast between the real world and silent hill world. In the real world, the filmmaker uses warmer color to show an energetic world. The sunshine makes people feel very warm. Also, audience can feel the energetic real world that is very close to their lives. On the contrary, in the silent hill world, there is no sunshine. Instead, the environment tends to be foggy and cloudy. Everywhere looks very bluish, which can make people feel scary. People may think this kind of environment is strange compared to the really world. Thus, warm color and cold color are very important color skill in making movie. That's because the warm color can bring people more energetic feeling and excitement. The cold color can give people a horrific feeling.

I totally agree with you on the bluish color and how it is a good example of how makes us believe it is scary. I think that the blue and grey tints really set the mood. Those tints of green though soften in up a bit. My eyes are drawn to the green because it makes me feel a little at ease instead of constantly thinking of something scary.

Normally, the bluish color is cold color and it gives people a feel of not as intense, exciting or energetic as warm color. Your picture did give me a horror feeling. I think the color of saturated of the main character and destaturted of the background people helps to emphasis on the main character.