Building Depth

the-shining-stanley-kubrick-jack-nicholson-long-hallway.jpg

This picture is from one of my favorite movies, Stanley Kubrick's film The Shining (1980). Relative size and linear perspective are two elements that create depth in this still. Linear perspective is one of the most powerful depth cues used in films and pictures that makes objects look farther away than they actually are. The movement of the parallel and vertical lines making up the hallway of this scene creates the illusion of depth. The door at the end of the hallway creates a vanishing point, or the point at which all lines seem to converge or discontinue. Using vanishing points are extremely effective at building depth. In addition to the use of lines to create vanishing points, depth is also created because of the doors relative size. Based on our own knowledge and experiences we know that the door at the end of the hallway is really, in fact, not that small. We know that it is the same size as the door to the right of the frame; however, because the camera is positioned far away from the door it appears to be smaller and farther away.

#depth

It's really cool how even the design in the carpet helps show depth. Good example!

What makes this a good example is the carpet. The carpet has distinct lines and patters. You can tell the hallway is really long because the pattern of the carpet start to blend and you can't really see any detail in it. Also the doors on the side start to get skinnier and skinner, which helps establish depth because we can see that the doors seem never ending until it hits the wall in the back.

Aha, I see. I like this movie as well. I remember in this picture, there is a ball rolling from the door that is deep in the picture. Obviously, the depth sometimes can imply something that is really important. In this scene, it can guide us where the ball comes from. Also, It can give us a creepy feeling there should be something that is far away from us, far away from the real world.

This picture really illustrate the depth feeling. There are a lot of line perspective in this picture. For example, the lights on the ceiling in a line extend the space to far away. And the patten of the carpet creates lots of lines toward to the other side. The doors along the pathway overlapped in a visualization, which creates 3D space to a depth feeling. All these lines and the person knee downing on the floor create a huge deep space feeling.

I remember seeing this for the first time when I first watched the film and feeling that the hallway went on forever. I think the emphasis of how large the part of the room is behind the boy to how little the door in front of him helps establish the depth. The lights, door, and carpet also help in distinguishing how far away the end of the hallway is.