Prompt 10 #editing

Screen shot 2013-04-21 at 4.08.51 PM.pngA jump cut is a gap in a scene so that something seems to be missing. The two shots vary slightly and give the effect of jumping forward in time. I chose this clip from the movie breathless. George Melies is known for creating the jump cut on accident. He wanted to make the cuts seem more like an illusion rather than a gap. In this movie the thief is trying to persuade the girl to hide in italy with him.

I really like Jump Cut even though it is not popular to be used today.Personally, I feel jump cut sometimes is not very natural to be seen in the movie, because jump cut may make a scene become incoherent. However, sometimes I think it work well. For example, if the director wants to portray a person's facial expression by using point of view, he or she may think about using jump cut together with zooming in.