Color

One of my favorite films of all time is Jurassic Park, so I made an attempt to watch the movie while thinking about some of the color strategies discussed in our textbook. A scene in particular that always peaks my interest is the "First Brachiosaurus Encounter".

The beginning of the scene has a lot of dissolved color and the saturation does not enhance any of the action that is taking place, but a shift occurs immediately after the reveal of the monstrous dinosaur. The color temperature increases significantly during the entrance of the dinosaur into the shot. This has to do with the presence of sunlight cutting across the shot, therefore the colors on the dinosaur and background scenery are much more defined and saturated.

The warmer-feeling colors, together with the use of music, are able to make a shift in mood through the scene itself. The colors become increasingly warmer as the camera shot pans right and tilts upward toward the neck of the enormous creature. The color energy has also come up to a new level than the beginning of the scene. Toward the end of the scene, a long shot of the entire landscape is shown in much greater saturation and vibrance than in the beginning shots, which shows the transition of color definition.

One of the big factors in the color transition for this scene is the strategic use to indicate rising action and triumph. This is the first moment in the movie where the characters realize exactly what Hammond has created and the tremendous power he has harnessed. The energy in this scene is immense, and the color development certainly follows along.

This also is one of my favorite movie. The lighting made the Jurassic Park as a wonderland because it tends to white color, not like a reality.

When looking at the movie Jurassic Park I never thought it to be a film with a lot of color symbolism. But when watching the clip you posted you can really see the change in the color temperature and how it increases when the dinosaur comes into the scene. Also, good point in class today about the change in the brightness of the sky and how they possibly had to film those two takes on different days, one being less cloudy.

This was a good example I thought because the color used throughout was very symbolic of the mood of the scene. I like how you pointed out that "The warmer-feeling colors, together with the use of music, are able to make a shift in mood...". The music is definitely an important element that helps out the color.