Depth: The Lord of The Rings

The Lord of The Rings, one of my favorite movies. Therefore, I found an image from this movie as a demonstration of depth. The director of this movie have used different techniques to create a depth feeling for viewers. First, the director added a z-axis, which described how far the castle seems to be from the camera (viewer's angle.) The castle is located away from the right front of the picture. You can tell that the castle is the major object from the viewer's angle. The director also used the relative size technique to tell the viewer how big the castle is. Gandalf, a wizard in the film, is located at the right of the bottom in the image. The story background of this image is Gandalf is riding a horse to the castle, the previous scene before changing subject. Compared to the Castle, the size of Gandalf is much smaller. The director used a long shot to make Gandalf looks smaller than natural meanwhile emphasized the outlook of the castle. It also make the viewers interpret the castle is far away from their angle.
Overlapping plane, which describes how object partially covered by another. In this picture, you can see that castle is partially covering the mountain one, and the mountain one is partially covering the mountain two. The director is trying to emphasize the depth effect through overlapping planes. We will able to perceive which objects are in a "behind" or an "in front of" position through overlapping-planes.

Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for Lord-of-the-Rings-castle.jpg

For what it's worth, I completely agree with this as a show of depth. I think it's interesting to note that this is not the only scene in which the director and artistic team use this idea; we see it in Helm's Deep in the 2nd Film and at the end of this one with the entrance to Mount Doom. Really does give you an idea of the vastness of the settings.

I think the Lord of the Rings and this image is a great example of depth. Like you said, it really shows overlapping planes with the mountains and the castle and it makes the shot visually interesting. Also, the positioning of the background and character with the long shot lets the viewer see how big the castle and the mountains are compared to Gandalf. Great choice!

This is a great example of depth, Pak! This is a beautiful movie and they do a great job of establishing depth. The overlapping planes with Gandolf and the planes of the mountain create the illusion that Gandolf is near and the mountains are far. The size is also a big clue, we know logically that Gandolf is not actually that tall when compared with a mountain, so we know that he is closer to us than the mountain is. The layers in the grasses that Gandolf rides through is also layered in lines, which contributes to the depth shown here. The clouds in the background make that section of the mountain range look farther away as well. Awesome post and beautiful picture!

I love The Lord of the Rings too! So much so that I am a complete nerd about it and know that this single shot is a compilation of live action recording of Gandalf, a miniature set of Minas Tirith, still photographs of the mountain range, paintings of the distance, and CG effects of the weather. All of those elements were carefully sewn together to make a flawless scene, and I think that is a huge part of what gives this shot so much depth like you say. With so many layers to work with, the creators really were able to establish a unique depth that could not have been accomplished similarly in any other way.