Hobbit Flashback Scene - Time and Motion

This scene that I chose is from The Hobbit. It serves mainly to give history and motive to one of the main characters of the movie: the leader of the dwarves' group, named Thorin. Another dwarf tells Bilbo (the hobbit) Thorin's story through a flashback sequence:

I think that this scene is especially interesting because it uses time and motion together to present it. The whole flashback itself is shot in slight slow motion, not overly obvious but still giving the surreal affect that Zettl describes. It is clear that it took place in a different time.

Time is also played with by going back and forth between present and past, although the dwarf's voice plays over the whole thing.

Another thing that is really interesting about this scene is the contrast between the shots of present and past. In shots in the past, a battle is being fought and so there is a lot of movement, characters, and event intensity. In the present scenes, however, it is dark and quiet, with many people even sleeping, and so the event intensity is very low.

All of these factors make the scene complex and interesting, just like the information and history that is being presented through the plot at the time.

During the anticipation of the release of the Hobbit movie, I was very interested in how the movie would compare to the book in terms of the interpretation of time and motion. This scene in particular does a great job of separating itself from the rest of the storyline to accomplish a specific goal, which is to provide us background information on Thorin. The way the movie plays with present and past was done with great taste and purpose in a much shorter explanation than a book provides.

I have not seen the Hobbit yet but I think that this is a great example of time and motion. I agree that the somewhat slow motion effect really distinguishes that the battle is a flash back. Good point about the event intensity and even though the flash back is in slower motion, the action and movement give it a lot of intensity. I really want to see the film now, good pick!

I really like how this flashback is done. The high exposure of the flashback makes it totally separate and distinct from the dimly lit present. On another level I feel like by making the flashback slightly slow motion, it drains some of the energy from it. This makes it so that it doesn't overpower the energy of the present, which has almost no motion in it whatsoever. I think that the combination of these two elements makes the scene really work well.

I loved the Hobbit, book and movie! They made the movie work well with the book. I think this is a perfect example of time and motion. The slow motion of the flash back makes the scene feel more intense, especially towards the end of the battle. They also used color very well to compare the past and the present.

I think part of why the Flashback Idea worked so well in this scene is because of the lighting techniques that were used. The intensity of the sun kinda gives everything a yellowish tint and it adds to the age of it (sepia tone, for example). But on a more related note, the slows that are used directly in the fighting adds to the idea that the battle drained the energy and spirits of the dwarfs and led to where they were in the film. An excellent clip!