Continuity Editing in The Shawshank Redemption

This is the scene in The Shawshank Redemption when Andy and Red meet for the first time. I chose this scene because watching it now, after reading these chapters, the vectors feel off because Andy and Red are standing next to each other, but for most of the scene when Andy is kneeling on the ground, they are talking to each other but looking in opposite directions. I found this an interesting and effective technique given the concern for continuity editing. I think by doing this, it made the viewer feel slightly uncomfortable and unsure, which this scene most definitely designed to do, considering the context of parts of the conversation.

I also like what they did with this scene. The characters looking in different directions added a little tension to the scene; if the guards caught them talking about this then they would be punished. Having them not looking at each other makes it almost seem like they aren't talking to each other to a casual viewer, especially if the audio was cut.

Great example, this is an incredible movie. I agree that kind of breaking conventions for editing a conversation does draw some attention. It is such a crucial scene for the film because that is when Andy asks Red for the rock hammer.