A facebook note from spring break.

So, I've told people that I'm cleaning out my room. Now... I don't think anyone, no matter how well they know me and my past living habits knows how much stuff I have. They think they do... but they don't. My closet is the length and height of the entire north wall. My desk, which is the length of another wall is covered above and below. Now... this stuff isn't just junk... it's stored. Because my mother is obsessed with saving things and I am her except younger and more forgetful basically. So anyway. I have a lot of stuff. More than anyone reading this. Promise.

Continue reading "A facebook note from spring break." »

Dun Dun

screen-capture-2.jpg

Reframings

I think feminist critiques are oftentimes too inaccessible for their vision and ideas to reach a large number of people. (It took me hours to stumble through just a few pages of Judith Butler) If we begin to do what Diane Neumaier asks of us in the intro, to critique and analyze this great new wave of feminist art, we might find that the words are more relevant because seeing a photograph or other piece of artwork can inspire so many ideas in the audience to begin with, so analyzing and critiquing art that people can and want to understand may be a better way for feminist theory and ideas to reach them.

Continue reading "Reframings" »

Photography

The only photographer I have ever really admired or possibly understood is Ansel Adams. Going into a unit on photography I feel unprepared to say the least. My mother's lifetime of habitually taking identical posed photos to put into elaborate and unique scrapbooks has rubbed off on me, and all my pictures are exactly the same. I don't feel like I have the eye yet. The Reframings chapter descriptions of the photos didn't mean anything to me, and I didn't really understand the photographs' meanings even after I had their interpretation.

Ansel Adams isn't controversial like the photos we'll be looking at. He's pretty serene, which is what I love. The things I know about photography are that I like black and whites, and photos that bring the outdoors to me since I don't really like many outdoor activities. I am going to try really hard to understand the meanings in these feminist photographs, even though I think finding absolute meaning in art is really subjective. Like Judy Chicago telling her students that everyone should be able to tell what her piece is saying? Honestly? I don't think that is ever possible because of people like me.

So... hopefully I can find something in these photos close to how I relate to Ansel Adams so I can relate to these feminist artists as well.

Week 2 Blog - The male gaze in cinema

So I'm taking the class Feminist Film Studies. So far a few of the things have been really overlapping. I just did two readings- Visual Pleasure and Narrative Cinema by Laura Mulvey and Is the Gaze Male? by E. Ann Kaplan. They were both dealing with the pyschoanalysis involved in how women are portrayed in cinema and women's sex roles in life in relation to the cinema. I thought these were really relavent, especially for when we begin studying film and other media like music videos.

Continue reading "Week 2 Blog - The male gaze in cinema" »

Week 1 Blog - Who controls media

After going through the Pozner reading, the question that stuck in my mind was about how we know what we know, and who controls the media? All my friends have blogs except for me, and lots of them put videos of their performances and randomness on youtube. Journalists control what we read in newspapers... simply which stories and also what sort of hidden angle they spin it with. Television news is the same. But when you consider blogs and youtube as "new media" you really see that everyone has the potential to control media.

Continue reading "Week 1 Blog - Who controls media" »

Test Post

I
Am

testing

this thing.

And writing a pome.

Continue reading "Test Post" »