"How the First Nine Months Shaped the Rest of Your Life"

Found an amazing article in Time Magazine about the study of fetal origins and the developmental origins of health and disease.

My letter to the editor:

Re: "How the First Nine Months Shape the Rest of Your Life"

I was absolutely fascinated and thrilled to read about the research on fetal origins and how motherhood and prenatal lifestyles are directly linked to the baby's life in adulthood.
As a Type 1 Diabetic, I have always wondered why, if no one in my family has a history with the disease (as is often the case) I was diagnosed. My mother has felt a lot of guilt that she possibly did something during her pregnancy to predispose me to the illness, and this article probed our interests further and raised more questions. I've always believed our mother's lifestyle habits during pregnancy have direct consequences on our mental and behavioral health, predisposition to diseases, temperament, and intelligence. The analogy of the "biological postcards from the world outside" sent from mother to baby was appropriate and illustrative of the factors which influence the fetus later in life. It was especially interesting to note that the author was herself pregnant at the time of publication. All women expecting should read this article. Thank you for providing research and evidence that solidifies my beliefs in the developmental origins of health and disease and for shedding light on such a fascinating topic.

This page contains a single entry by kate published on November 8, 2010 7:24 PM.

Marie Claire's "fatties" blog was the previous entry in this blog.

ArtiCulture is the next entry in this blog.