« "Shitty First Drafts" Anne Lamott | Main | Queer Solution »

"Cop Killer"

While reading “Cop Killer� and discussing it in class, I developed several opinions on the issues related to this story. The first has to do with what we discussed in class which was having it just be a “black thing� or a “white thing.� Secondly, I think the decision made by Time Warner was just to get a rise out of the public and to make more money.
We discussed the idea of “it’s a black thing� quite a lot in class, when we talked about the lyrics to the music. However, I think that there isn’t really such an argument. In today’s society that argument is not only politically incorrect, but even offensive. If I was in a conversation with someone and they told me I wouldn’t understand because I am white, I would get kind of pissed. The thing is, it’s the definition of a double standard. There is no possible way that I could go up to a person of a different race and say “sorry, you wouldn’t understand. It’s a white thing.� It just doesn’t happen. The fact that it was even brought up as an argument was ridiculous. Maybe someone else has a different opinion, but that’s where I stand.
Furthermore, I think the decision on behalf of Time Warner to stand by the rights of the artist was a joke. Although it may have been on the grounds of freedom of speech, I think their motive was to gain publicity and sell more albums. It even said in the article that the album wasn’t even selling that many at first, then as soon as it became a big issue they were selling out in stores. Time Warner had the advantage by saying that in a couple ways. They could say they were standing by their artist and make him happy, but also are getting the public eye on the situation. Win-win for them! Overall, I think the article was pretty interesting.

Rob,
your blog is very argumentative, and i like that. The point you made about "oh, its a white thing, you wouldnt get it" was great, and i agree completely. I would be very offended as well if someone told me i wouldnt understand it because of an ethnic/racial diffrence. isnt that the "invisible" barrier people are constantly making motions to breach? I mean, thats one of the main components the University of Minnesota stresses to is prospective students; diversity.It really makes you wonder, after all of these years, how many people are willing to look past racial make-up; and that applies to all ethnic groups. You hear so many rap songs today about "black people hate white people for hating them", and "white people are better" that it really makes you think about how much of that has an affect on its listeners. Anyhoo...nice job,great blog!

Rob,

Come on, black people get to say the N-word (among other things). Whites get to become president. It's not even a fair tradeoff.

Second of all, I think Time Warner stood behind Ice-T's infamous song because other companies were profitting off of other songs with cop-killing lyrics in them. A corporation is not a moral being; it weighed its options and decided it was more profitable to weather the criticism since other companies obviously got away with it.

And third, your general dismissiveness of the fact that there may be some myopia among many whites concerning a racial issue pretty much cements why there is that argument in the first place. I should stress that fantasies about killing police officers should just be that - fantasies. There isn't any "racial argument" justifying that. But on the other hand, it does go to show the extent of how poor black communities distrust police officers, whether they are justified or not. How many cops shot or brutalized unarmed black people and were never punished? I remember an incident a few years back where a white guy, a convicted murderer, in Columbia Heights and the police still managed to take him alive. Guess where he is now? In a mental hospital.

Of course Time Warner would stand by their artist. They're making more money through the publicity of the song and they have the constitution backing them up so they don't have to remove it.

and about whether or not "its a black thing." I understand that you'd be angry and i would be too but that's the way it is. There are just some things that white people never experience. and thats why i think it should be brought up as an argument because if we ignore it, it will keep happening in the future. we have to learn from our mistakes and teach future generations whats right and whats wrong and maybe someday we will live in a world where there isn't discrimination, a world where there isn't "a black thing or a white thing", a world where we can judge people not by their color, but by their character. Its really hard to understand unless you've experienced it firsthand.

i dont know if you've ever seen the footage of rodney king, but i recommend you watch it.

Rob,
The white-black thing first off makes a lot of sense. I wouldn't want someone to throw at me "Oh its just a white thing" or hone me down because of their own brands of here say. I think Time Warner also stood to make a lot of money off Ice-T, as well as Ice-T himself with this song. Which is something I also see as a publicity stunt by both.