Chapters in Books
- Shinohara, Chika. 2014. "Gender and the Great War: Tsuda Umeko's Role in Institutionalizing Women's Education in Japan." In The Decade of the Great War: Japan and the Wider World in the 1910s, edited by Toshihiro Minohara, Evan Dawley, and Tze-ki Hon. Leiden, the Netherlands: Brill.
- Shinohara, Chika. 2009. "How Did Sexual Harassment become a Social Problem in Japan? The Equal Employment Opportunity Law and Globalization." Pp. 267-309 in Advances in Gender Research, Volume 13: Perceiving Gender Locally, Globally, and Intersectionally. Bingley: Emerald Group Publishing Limited. [Email me if you are unable to locate this chapter] [Copyright]
- Shinohara, Chika. 2009. "Global Pressure, Local Results: the Impact of CEDAW on Working Women in Japan." Journal of Workplace Rights 13 (4): 449-471. [PDF] [Copyright]
- Shinohara, Chika and Christopher Uggen, 2009. "Sexual Harassment: The Emergence of Legal Consciousness in Japan and the US," The Asia-Pacific Journal, Vol. 31-2-09, August 3, 2009. [Link] [Copyright]
- Uggen, Christopher and Chika Shinohara. 2009. "Sexual Harassment Comes of Age: A Comparative Analysis of the United States and Japan." The Sociological Quarterly 50: 201-34. [PDF] [Copyright]
- Hasegawa, Koichi, Chika Shinohara, and Jeffrey Broadbent. 2007. "The Effect of 'Social Expectation' on the Development of Civil Society in Japan." Journal of Civil Society 3(2): 179-203. [Abstract] [PDF] [Copyright]
- Hasegawa, Koichi, Chika Shinohara, and Jeffrey Broadbent. 2007. "Volunteerism and the State in Japan." Japan Focus, December 26, 2007. [Abstract] [Link] [Copyright]
- Shinohara, Chika. 2014. "Social Attitudes toward the Japan-Indonesia Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA) and Nursing/Elderly Care Welfare: EPA Workers and Policies in Japanese and Indonesian Societies/2013-2014," with Median Mutiara and Shiho Sawai. Report for the Japan Center for Economic Research.
- Shinohara, Chika. 2013. "Social Attitudes toward the EPA Nursing & Elderly Care Welfare in Japan and Indonesia/2012-2013," with Median Mutiara and Shiho Sawai. Report for the Center of Social Welfare Promotion and National Examination.
- Shinohara, Chika. 2013. "Book Review on Lovesick Japan: Sex, Marriage, Romance, Law, by Mark D. West. Ithaca and London: Cornell University Press, 2011." Law & Society Review 47 (1): 240-42. [Link]
- Shinohara, Chika. 2009. "Gender Role Attitudes after the Passage of the Equal Employment Opportunity Policy: Japan-Korea Comparison," Pp. 39-62 in Yoichi Murase (edit), Korea-Japan Comparative Analyses Reports on Social Networks and Social Attitudes. Tokyo: Department of Sociology, Rikkyo University. [Link]
- Cabinet Office of Japan. 2008. "Spousal Violence Perpetrator Intervention Policies in East Asia." Nippon Research Center Study Group, Cabinet Office of Japan Commissioned Project. [Link]
- Co-editor for the Sociological Review of St. Andrew's University. 2011-2012.
- Special Edition Co-editor with Koichi Hasegawa for the Asian Journal of Social Science, National University of Singapore & Brill. 2011.
Hasegawa, Koichi & Chika Shinohara. 2011. "Inequalities and Disparities in Globalised Asia," AJSS 39(1). [PDF]Assistant for the Editorial Board. 2008-2009.
- Student Editorial Board Member for contexts, American Sociological Association & University of Minnesota. Fall 2007-Spring 2008.