« California wildfires destroy homes and cause evacuations | Main | U student charged with misdemeanor after being fired from KSTP »

Obama election spurs race crimes around country

The number of race crimes around the country has increased since the election of Barack Obama, the Associated Press reported.

Incidents around the country referring to President-elect Barack Obama highlight the racism that remains in America, the Associated Press states.

All across the country, police have documented a range of alleged crimes, including vandalism, threats, and at least one physical attack. The insults and crimes come from all ages.

"Hundreds" of incidents have occurred since the election, which is more than usual, said Mark Potok, director of the Intelligence Project at the Southern Poverty Law Center, which monitors hate crimes.

In one incident, in Snellville, Ga., a boy on the school bus told Denene Millner's 9-year-old daughter the day after election: "I hope Obama gets assassinated." That night, someone ruined the Obama signs on her sister-in-law's front lawn and left two pizza boxes filled with himan feces outside the front door, Millner said.

"I can't say that every white person in Snellville is evil and anti-Obama and willing to desecrate my property because one or two idiots did it," said Millner, who is black. "But it definitely makes you look a little different at the people who you live with, and makes you wonder what they're capable of and what they're really thinking."

Grant Griffin, a 46-year-old white Georgia native, is upset with the election of Obama.

"I believe our nation is ruined and has been for several decades and the election of Obama is merely the culmination of the change," Griffin said.