« Aliases for servlets | Main | Adding a new field to the dspace database »

Report to John and Brad about dspace progress. Below is what I have the last few days with dspace.Jeff Attempt to use lucene to sort fields:1) Examined work by Rooma who attempted to solve the problem.2) She tried to use the lucene e

John & Brad,
Below is what I have the last few days with dspace.
Jeff

Attempt to use lucene to sort fields:
1) Examined work by Rooma who attempted to solve the problem.
2) She tried to use the lucene engine to sort the fields -> I tested lucence sort.
3) lucene will not sort tokenized fields.
4) Requests have been sent to lucene and dspace to create sortable tokenized fields. There seems to be some internal debate as to whether this is wise/possible.
5) Used lucuene 2.2 jar to dump all attributes of fields stored in our lucene DB (we are using the 2.0 jar which does not have this feature and I will return to the original jar).
6) The "isTokenized" attribute has the value “true? for all the fields except the field named “handle?.
7) In its current state, none of the fields of interest are sortable by lucene.

Unique problem of date field:
1) “date? field is not stored in lucence.
2) Likely generated in the jsp for the 10 records that are displayed.
3) derived from direct call to sql db?

My plans:
1) I talked to Bill and he says there is a way to index a field twice, as both tokenized and non-tokenized. I will explore this idea to make our fields sortable.
2) Brad and I have discussed the "date problem". Could go directly to sql or fix lucence.

Gains:
1) The lucuene 2.2 jar allows me to peer into the lucene DB and display all the properties of the stored fields.