Brainstorming

I started this assignment by going back and revising my problem statements from last week. I ended on two "How might we..." statements that would be good design topics for my brainstorming session

How might we please every family member's needs/wants at a family gathering?

How might we enjoy long car rides more?

Now here's where things got a little more fun.

After last week's classroom exercise, I still felt as though people held back from sharing ideas in fear of having their ideas judged. I began exploring different ways that I feel more comfortable with a group and situations in which I felt comfortable saying the unusual. The more and more examples I came up with, the more I realized that there was a common trend; I tended to be much more open, explorative, and willing to contribute to conversation after a couple drinks.

So what happens when you give a brainstorming group a couple drinks before they start coming up with solutions?

Definitely more willing volunteers...

Meet the brainstorming group:

IMG_4210.JPG
Carson
Senior in Chemistry

IMG_4211.JPG
Aaron
Senior in Physics

IMG_4213.JPG
Adam
Senior in Biology

IMG_4215.JPG
Ryan
Junior in Biochemistry

I started the group brainstorming with a spin-off of the MacGyver game. I gave the four guys an assortment of objects and had them create a game to facilitate faster consumption of a beverage of their choice. We then relaxed a little to let everything set in.

We moved to a smaller room with a long table and began the brainstorming. I reintroduced the prompts and had the four start coming up with ideas.
First, I just let them come up with ideas with no real direction or point of view for about 10 minutes. I then followed this up by assigning personalities to design as for 5 minutes. Finally, I asked them to come up with impossible ideas for 5 minutes. I repeated these steps for the second prompt.

The Results

Here are the top 5 as voted on by the members of the group:

Please Everyone

Scanned from a Xerox Multifunction Device011.jpg

Scanned from a Xerox Multifunction Device012.jpg

Scanned from a Xerox Multifunction Device013.jpg

Scanned from a Xerox Multifunction Device007.jpg

Thumbnail image for Scanned from a Xerox Multifunction Device019.jpg

Car Ride

Scanned from a Xerox Multifunction Device008.jpg

Scanned from a Xerox Multifunction Device014.jpg

Scanned from a Xerox Multifunction Device017.jpg

Peter,

I like how you organized each brainstorm into three phases. You gave your brainstorming session good structure and I am sure that it made it easier to facilitate and generate more ideas. However, I wanted to see more photos of your group's process. Did you have themes that emerged from each brainstorming session? Did people come up with similar ideas? You had photos from the beginning and the end, but I wanted to see what went on in the middle.

Also, there were a couple of repeated sketches in your post. I am sure that was not intentional, but it did confuse me while reading. And who was responsible for creating each sketch? I really liked the soundproof scream room and sibling bed divider, I just wanted to know who's ideas they were...

-Nel

I thought your organization of the blog post was pretty good. You gave a good outline of what you did and then showed us the sketches that your session produced.

I would have liked to see the room you did you session in. And did you put your sketches into specific groups? Are there some sketches and ideas you thought were potential products? Also I noticed some repeated product sketches, I thought some of them did not solve the HMW Question. Though they were pretty interesting ideas.

Peter,

first of all, Freakin' Genius idea to give out alcohol as an incentive. I wish I would have thought of that.
although you put together a visually appealing blog, I would have liked to see a bit more explanation of you process. I am also still up in the air about how I feel regarding the sketches flowing seamlessly into one another. I feel that perhaps just a border around the photos would help out. I would also like to see a little more write up after the completion. That considered, I really enjoyed the ideas your group came up with. there were some good ideas that came up and further insight or a wrap up could have pulled things in better.
Overall I found the blog quite humorous and came up with some pretty solid ideas.