Geodesic Domes

Find a series of images (individual or part of a series) that somehow connect design to mathematics. comment

After, no more then say 10 minutes ago realising that, NO, I had not done my blog and, YES, class is tomorrow I scrambled to think of something that connects a really cool thing, Design to something not cool at all, Math.

night.jpg

As I thought, I realised as I normally do, that math is totally unavoidable when it comes to the "real" world and that architecture is full of it. I guess it was there all along and I was just avoiding the fact. I though back to my math classes and remember about Geodesic Domes and how there's math in them.

Continue reading "Geodesic Domes" »

Oppositions

Observe and document some oppositions- and their possible resolutions.

scarface.JPG

Really when you look around your life there's oppositions everywhere.
The movies we watch, the jobs we do, the way we get from place to place, the assigned class work. The list could go on and on even with out mentioning the Oppositions in the built environment, of which there are many.

If oppositions were as easy to deal with as they are in the movies
A) the USA would be blowing the middle east up right now... not that our government isn't doing it's best to

B) Tony Montana would be great at resolving things tonymontana.gif

Continue reading "Oppositions" »

Phenomena?

Rising up out of the bank of the Mississippi a large blue and yellow phenomena know among other things as "Ikea on Viagra" or by the more widely recognized title: The Guthrie Theater.
Ikea.jpg
Funny what a little photo editing can make ya think

Continue reading "Phenomena?" »

Blog 3 Response

When I got the prompt my first thoughts were "what the? that's from the reading I didn't get."
When I first started reading the readings and had gotten to the Genius Loci text I had struggled
through about a page, maybe two before I just flat out gave up and skipped over that reading.

Going back I found Genius Loci means the "spirit of place". That set of another round of thoughts
running though my mind. "What places count? Which place means most to me?
Why don't I have any pictures of that place." Once I sat down at the computer and started on one idea
I finally came to an idea, my thoughts settled on a unschoolers camp that I have gone to out in Organ
for the past two years. The spirit of NBTSC (Not Back To School Camp) is very much like the spirit
I go through my life with so it's a very meaningful and special place for me.

Continue reading "Blog 3 Response" »

Find a social design issue. Document it. Become an advocate for it.

0406sm-10_lg.jpg
Over the week I have struggled to find something that fits with the blog prompt.
So I finally, last night, decided to go with the social issue of poverty. Thomas Fisher's guest lecture last week really hit home with me; the design and architecture jobs that the students working under Samuel "Sambo" Mockbee are very close to some of the projects I hope to complete as an architect.

Continue reading "Find a social design issue. Document it. Become an advocate for it." »

Blog Prompt week of sept 12th

Go to the Midtown Market on Lake St. Observe. Define Energy. List the ways in which you might create, use and exchange energy here.

Welcome to my mind

Welcome to my new blog.
I'll start off by saying a little about who I am.
My name is Jeb I'm 17 I am curently talking classes at the U of M through a program called PSEO.
The classes at the U are really my reason for this Blog. Part of out weekly assignment in Arch 1701 The Design Environment is to post blogs on diffrent blog prompts we are given by our Professor, Ozayr Saloojee.
So Welcome and enjoy my random thoughs and words.
~Jeb

Midtown Market

Even before you arrive at the Midtown Market, the energy of many blending cultures is apparent. As you drive up Lake St. past Hiawatha many cultures are showcased:A Mexican horse outfitter, all the way to a Swedish shoppe wish a sign in the window proclaiming "lutefisk available during construction!"

When you go through the market doors a wave of colors, smells, sounds and cultures blasts into your senses. As I wandered through the market I was drawn to a smell pouring from a corner of the market, a Mexican bakery had just took out a batch of different cookies, breads and other great smelling baked goods.

Interesting Shops:

Native American craft store.

Scandinavian store (collectibles, and food)

Middle Eastern Gyro place (looked very tempting, but I had no money)

Chinese Restaurant (yum, cream cheese won-tons)

South African (cool wood carvings etc.)

Massage Place (you could feel relaxing energy coming out of there)

Japanese Convince Store (even Japanese energy drinks!)

Andy's Garage (Just a little bit out of place?)

Many little open courts provide a lunch spot for the bustle of midtown business people, as I walked around a meeting of many people in full suit get up was just beginning and carried on happily all through out my time there.