« Blog Prompt week of sept 12th | Main | Blog 3 Response »

Find a social design issue. Document it. Become an advocate for it.

0406sm-10_lg.jpg
Over the week I have struggled to find something that fits with the blog prompt.
So I finally, last night, decided to go with the social issue of poverty. Thomas Fisher's guest lecture last week really hit home with me; the design and architecture jobs that the students working under Samuel "Sambo" Mockbee are very close to some of the projects I hope to complete as an architect.

Sambo and his students at Auburn's Rural Studio built by the strength of their own hands and the bright thoughts of their minds beautiful buildings for the people of Hale County, one of the poorest county's in all of America. They used any thing that was handy to create truly amazing houses and community buildings for the community of Masons Bend, Alabama. Going from living in broken down sheds and trailer homes, with a per person income of less then 12,000 a year, the buildings that Mockbee and his students gave the people are something that they can be proud of and have as a flag for the rest of the world to see, much like the Petronas towers in Kuala Lumpur.

LucyHouse2001.gif
Lucy's house named for it's owner, is a nice look at how Mockbee's students use anything and everything to make a beautiful building out of the most surprising building materials, In this case they use recycled carpet tiles
for more info on Lucy's House go to: http://www.ruralstudio.com/projects_lucy.htm
As I looked around for pictures of my favorit bulding,The Mason’s Bend Community Center, I finally did find one as you can see at the very begining of this blog.

I found a cool story of how the Rural Studio came about bulding the Butterfly House and a bunch of other stuff about their work in Masons Bend. http://www.landviews.org/la2003/champion-aod.html
k_OnView_Mockbee_ButterflyHousesm.jpg

Amazing idea on pic 2.

Regards
J. Broze
Vintage Collectables

I have recently started a web site, the information you provide on this web site has helped me tremendously. Thanks for all of your time & work.