Ralph D. Casey Dissertation Research Award
Any doctoral candidate in Mass Communication who will have completed written and oral preliminary examinations, and filed a thesis proposal with the Graduate School by February 1, 2010 is eligible for this award. The award is made strictly on the basis of merit. Financial need is not a consideration.
As in earlier years, the Casey Dissertation Research Award application process is also used as the required "internal competition" for the Graduate School Doctoral Dissertation Fellowships. Students may not apply directly for the Fellowship awards. To be considered for the Graduate School Fellowship, one must apply for the Casey Award. It is possible for a student to receive both the Casey Dissertation Research Award and a Graduate School Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship.
To apply, submit:
1. The completed application form for the Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship (http://www.grad.umn.edu/fellowships/forms/).
2. Personal Statement of no more than one page that provides an account of the various sources, influences, and previous efforts that led to the choice of academic discipline and research area (see Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship guidelines).
3. Three copies of your dissertation proposal (usually no more than 10-20 pages in length). The proposal should clearly outline the purposes, scope, methods, and significance of the research and should include a timetable indicating anticipated completion date.
Please note that if you are selected for the Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship, you will be required to submit a three-page research proposal formatted to Graduate School specifications (see Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship guidelines).
4. A University of Minnesota transcript.
5. Two letters of recommendation, one from your adviser and another from a second SJMC faculty member. Both must have read and approved the dissertation proposal being submitted.
The proposal and letters of recommendation are due by 4:00 p.m., February 1, 2010.
Selection and Notification
The applications will be reviewed by a special faculty committee. Applicants will be notified of a decision by late March.