Communications Internship for Global Agricultural Research Center in Mexico
The Corporate Communications unit of the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center is looking for an intern to help with writing, editing, and public relations. Located outside Mexico City, CIMMYT is a non-profit, international research organization that develops and promotes improved maize and wheat varieties and cropping systems for farmers in developing countries.
The communications intern will work full-time assisting science writers/editors in duties such as:
* Editing and proofing articles for a weekly, internal newsletter.
* Reporting, researching, and writing articles for a bi-monthly e-newsletter distributed to an external audience of thousands.
* Publicizing the impacts of CIMMYT's research.
* Editing scientific articles for international publication.
* Developing content about projects, results, meetings, and partnerships for CIMMYT's website and blog.
* Monitoring the media for agricultural development-related articles.
* Drafting text for pamphlets, posters, and presentations.
* Other information management and dissemination tasks, as agreed.
The ideal candidate should be able to commit for one year as of July 1, 2010 and have a background in communications, journalism, or international development, an undergraduate degree, and writing or editing experience in English. Knowledge of Spanish, science, and agriculture are advantages. CIMMYT offers interns a modest monthly stipend, health insurance, costs for housing, and the arrival and return ticket to and from Mexico. To apply, please e-mail a letter of interest, resume, two writing samples (preferably non-academic), and contact information for two references to Mike Listman (email@example.com) by June 4, 2010