Recent grad turns passion for food into career

By Hillary Kline
While most typical college students live off of Ramen noodles and mac-and-cheese alone, that wasn't the case for recent grad Melinda Feucht (B.A. '09). From the classroom to the kitchen, Feucht is proving that the recipe for success is as simple as turning your passion into a career.

By Hillary Kline

3608548995_ffc4e9b86b_b.jpgFeucht's interest for food started at an early age. As a six-year-old, she played with her plastic Fischer Price cash register in her parents' small-town grocery store in Hills, Minn., pretending she was operating her very own store. After spending a summer on an organic farm in Winona, Minn. in college, and writing for publications such as Edible Twin Cities magazine and Minnesota Monthly, she realized that food, and writing, was where her heart was.

Cooking was a stress reliever for Feucht in college, noting that it was just "too easy to pop in a pizza or make mac-and-cheese." She would dabble and experiment with various ingredients, concoct exotic recipes, and avidly watch and recreate the dishes found on Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations," a show on the Travel Channel.

collage.jpg"I've always been a curious person and growing up in a small town and seeing the foods that were offered in my parents' grocery store, it was very average and very conventional," Feucht says. "When I discovered all of these new things, it was like different artists discovering a bunch of new colors ... it was like a playground."

Feucht's curiosity led her to David Husom's class, Jour 5990 Online Media Creation and Design, a course which allows students to learn about Web design. Students learn how to create their own Web site, channel and compile work from previous classes, or create a Web site pertaining to a hobby or interest. Naturally, Feucht chose food.

After countless hours of what Feucht considers "working like a dog" and frantic e-mails to Husom on Saturday evenings with questions that could have waited until Monday, she knew that her Web site, which she called "Freelance Foodie," would serve a purpose, both personally and professionally.

"I actually got projects out of it ... it was dollar signs for me," she says. "To be honest, I know it sounds kind of greedy, but it was doing something for me, so it gave me the motivation to get it done."

After studying for finals last spring, Feucht was leafing through a Writer's Digest magazine and came across a Web design contest. She had just completed her "Freelance Foodie" Web site for Husom's class, and thought, "Why not?" So, she entered herself. Feucht filled out the online application, and then completely forgot about it. It wasn't until she was in Seattle, right before an interview, when she "Googled herself" and realized she had won Second Place in Writer's Digest Best Writer's Web site competition.

"I was never notified," Feucht said. "I was just as shocked as anybody."

Husom says that her award and professional success illustrate how important the Internet has become for journalists, noting that Feucht used both her writing and photography skills to her advantage.

"I think the real plus she had, although she's primarily a writer, is that she had a lot of good visual things," he says. "The problem that writers have is to make something visually interesting."

Feucht recently began a new position with Amazon as a member of the marketing team in the magazine department. Her team is responsible for designing, creating and tracking e-mail campaigns, and monitoring how effective they are to customers. If she were asked nine months ago about what she wanted to do after graduation, she "would have never guessed such a specific thing."

Now, as a successful award-winning freelance writer, photographer, blogger and graphic designer, Feucht says that one of the most important things she learned at the SJMC was to be confident in your work and persistent in pursuing your dreams.

"Think of yourself as a salesman," she says. "If you don't believe in the product, it's really hard to sell it, but if you value the product, and if you're absolutely convinced of its worth, you can sell it so easily."

View Feucht's Web site.
Browse Feucht's photography.

This page contains a single entry by sjmcblog published on February 10, 2010 11:09 AM.

Alan Bjerga (M.A. '98) sworn in as National Press Club president was the previous entry in this blog.

Prof. Jane Kirtley quoted in New York Times article is the next entry in this blog.