What's in your backpack?

Kiya_thumb.jpg
What's in your backpack?
"A camera full of my photos from Kenya!" says journalism student Kiya Edwards. From dirt roads in Nakuru to the bustling streets of Nairobi, Edwards recorded many memorable experiences while studying abroad last fall. A multi-talented theatre and broadcast journalism major in the College of Liberal Arts, Kiya attends the U with a full ride of scholarships and a determination to do it all.

What's in your backpack?
Kiya_small.jpg

She explains, "I wanted to connect international studies with theatre and journalism, so I looked for a third-world country offering a program that included theatre."

After a safari in Nakuru and classes in Nairobi, Kiya headed to Kisumu, the city of resident Obama's family. "I worked with a group called Changez that focuses on youth development using theatre as a tool for social change," she explains.

She acted, wrote scripts, participated in peer education, and edited and wrote articles. "My greatest accomplishment was writing the Changez Song, which I taught to high school students" she says. "It's based on their problems and issues. The final verse is about how change can help them."

Hear Kiya's song and see her Kenya photos.

This page contains a single entry by sjmcblog published on April 30, 2010 2:57 PM.

Premack Awards honor Minnesota's best public affairs journalism was the previous entry in this blog.

The Best in the Nation is the next entry in this blog.