Gopher Sports Internship Offers Experience In the Field

New this year, SJMC has partnered with Gopher Sports to create a new internship program. Six SJMC students shoot video and take photos for Gopher Sporting Events to be used for publicity purposes. Through the program, students get a one-credit internship credit for participating.

In the fall 2011 semester, Annie Favreau, Sarah Gray, Kendall Mark, Edwina Reckel, Reid Strait, Calvin Swanson and John Tipton have shot Gopher Sports Media Day live streams, tailgating action and sideline coverage.

Adviser Jerry Broeckert, a Gopher Sports fanatic, was instrumental in creating this program for students, which allows them on-the-field experience. "The kids do such a great job," he said. "It's great to see them learning in the field."

Sarah-Gray.jpg

Sarah Gray captures Gopher Basketball coach Tubby Smith for a live stream as he's interviewed at Gopher Sports Media Day. "These experiences allowed me to gain experience shooting, interviewing and editing, but more importantly, gave me realistic expectations of how it feels to be a journalist outside of the classroom," Gray said. "I was able to interview head coaches, mingle with other journalists and be recognized as a journalist."

Calvin-Swanson.jpg

Calvin Swanson records the action in a tailgating lot during Homecoming 2011. "My internship experience with Gopher Sports enhanced my video editing skills and my ability to utilize multimedia overall," Swanson said.

Calvin-and-Ryan.jpg

Ryan Maus, digital/social media manager for Gopher Athletics, supervises Swanson. "Ryan was very helpful when I had questions about filming or editing and overall has just been a great facilitator of the internship," Swanson said.

This page contains a single entry by showard published on January 24, 2012 10:46 AM.

Fall 2011 Pioneer Press Practicum was the previous entry in this blog.

Alum Scott Meyer Receives Award of Excellence is the next entry in this blog.