Scholarship Named in Honor of Alumna Beverly Kees

Family, friends and colleagues have established an SJMC scholarship fund in honor of path-breaking journalist Beverly Kees (B.A., '63). Kees had a long career in newspapers and was a revolutionary in the field as one of the first female managers in the newsroom.

The Minneapolis native began her career as editor-in-chief of the Minnesota Daily. She held this position when the Gophers went to the Rose Bowl in 1962 and displayed her pioneering spirit when, as a woman, she had to fight to get on the field.

BevKeesweb.jpgAfter graduating, she spent most of her newspaper career at the Minneapolis Star and Minneapolis Tribune, where she started as a reporter and left as assistant managing editor. "I was lucky to work for Bev very early in my career as a writer," said Kate Parry, assistant managing editor for special projects and features at the Star Tribune. "She was an incredibly demanding editor, but she managed to do that in a way that was positive and helped us soar. I often think back to the lessons I learned working for her. She was among a small group who really broke down the obstacles for women in top management at newspapers. Along the way, she mentored a lot of women, and I've always been glad I was one of them."

She also held positions as executive editor of the Grand Forks Herald in North Dakota, executive editor of the Fresno Bee in San Francisco and editor of the Post-Tribune in Gary, Ind.

A well-known educator, Kees also served as a visiting professional scholar at the Freedom Forum's First Amendment Center in Nashville, Tenn., and directed journalism education and journalism training programs and seminars for the now-closed Freedom Forum Center in San Francisco.

In 2004, Kees was tragically killed when she was struck by a truck in San Francisco. She was 63 years old.

The Beverly Kees Scholarship will be awarded for the first time in Spring 2013 for the 2013-2014 school year to full-time undergraduate SJMC students who demonstrate financial need and high academic achievement.

To donate to the scholarship, click here.

This page contains a single entry by showard published on August 2, 2012 11:11 AM.

SJMC To Host Student Journalists From Around the Country was the previous entry in this blog.

The Political Ecology of Rock: SJMC associate professor releases book on music and the environment is the next entry in this blog.